Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: fsb compatibility

Has anyone tried replacing a 400fsb with a 533fsb?
    I have an asus p4s333 with a 2.0g 400fsb. I would like to replace the chip with a 2.4g 533fsb (acquired for free) and I'm not sure if the chips are backwards compatible. Am waiting on reply from ASUS as i write (their site says board supports 400fsb).

well, there are some mobo's/chipsets that support both 400/533 fsb, unfortunately the p4s333 is not one of them :thumbs do . The specs for ur mobo are here :cheers:

yeah, but will the chip run at a slower bus if I plug it in?

More than likely it would have no problems running at a lower FSB, but lets take something into consideration first:

20 * 100 = 2.0GHz (Your current processor)
    18 * 133 = 2.4GHz (Your possible upgrade path)
    18 * 100 = 1.8GHz (The speed your upgrade path would run on your 100MHz board)

Remember that the multiplier cannot be changed on an Intel processor. Overclocking may be good on your board (dunno myself as I use AMD) so it may make the issue moot, but it could be something worth considering before you change out processors.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

so your saying the multiplier on a 2.4 chip is 18? I know its 20 on my 2.0 and your right it cant be changed. Right now its overclocked at 2.2 with stock cooling. So i could probably overclock the 2.4 to run at its normal speed? I'm trying to find someone I know to trade me my 2.4 533fsb for a 2.4 400fsb. If not I'll fork out the $80 bucks and buy a new board. I didn't want to spend any money on this upgrade yet 'cause eventually I'm gonna run a 2.8 800fsb (when I save enough).

I would suggest trying to sell the 2.4 533 fsb to save cash for the new p4c 2.8 setup that you want :thumb:

Thread Information