Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: amd 1700+ cpu cooler?

this is the 1st time building a pc. and i dont know, do i need a cpu cooler? and if so which one? and what is a shim? and what is copper and some other heatspreader?

I get the best price/performance from usin' the copper Volcano 7+ (miles ahead of that retail thing they call a HSF) and forget about shims as they're just plain useless unless ya extremely hamfisted.

seriously.. the volcano7+ is so good that it even has a cult of followers.

the volcano9 seems to be a lot cheaper though (which is what i have runnin at a decent noise level set on 3,00rpm) .. 12$USD at gameve.com

if you ever plan to overclock, you might as well get a thermalright hs with a smart fan 2 or vantec....the volcano series is nice but not as good as the thermalright offerings....look around various forums...you'll see.

www.overclockers.com

there's a heatsink review there....
    Barton 2500+ (218x11) - SLK800A w/Vantec Tornado - G-byte GA7N400L1 - 256x2 TwinMOS DDR400 - BBA R9600Pro - Antec 350W

it depends on what you are planning on doing with your comp, if you are not planning on OC, then you may want to consider a less effecient, but much quiter HSF...but if you are planning on doing some tinkering or it's going to be in a hot environment, then you may want to consider something like the volcano 7+ or 11

here may be a good one if you are not going for an OC: Vantec Aeroflow
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I went to Fry's (Dallas) and got a new CoolerMaster fan for 9.99. It works good. It has a manual speed controller on it too that is adjustable.

Mine is running on a AMD XP 2400. Never locks up and keeps it hella cool. Make sure to use that grease between the cooler and the processor.

That's my 2 cents.

J :afro:

[Edit by Raven - Removed ALL CAPS :cheers: ]

Thread Information