Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Looking to upgrade.

Sometime in the near future I will be upgrading to an AMD Athlon XP processor, in the 2600-2800 range. I've been hearing a lot about core types and FSB speeds and stuff and it's gotten me really confused about what to get. I'm mostly in to gaming and am looking for a processor that will run my games really good... soon I'll have an FIC-AU13 motherboard, 256 Mb of PC-3200 DDR-RAM, and a 450 watt power supply. I'm running a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 at the moment also. I'm willing to spend $150-200 on it. I really need an idea on what to get so any help is appreciated, thanks! ;)

2600+ t-bred B with 333 mhz fsb

while the cpu is important to gaming, the video card and memory are even more so...you may want to seriously think about getting another stick of ram, I'd recomend at least 512 ram for any real gaming machine. If you want to seriously boost your gamming potential look into getting a 9700 pro or 9800 pro

I don't know the specs on the mobo you have picked out, but I'd also recomend an nforce2 chipset mobo with dual channel ram capabilites
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    you may want to seriously think about getting another stick of ram, I'd recomend at least 512 ram for any real gaming machine. I don't know the specs on the mobo you have picked out, but I'd also recomend an nforce2 chipset mobo with dual channel ram capabilites
    Yep get some more ram or your gaming will suffer, and about the Nforce2 suggestion, they are AWESOME! :devil win

Thanks for that :D

I'm pretty sure that the FIC-AU13 motherboard that I will be buying has the nForce2 chipset. And about the RAM... I have 512 Mb of crappy PC-133 SDRAM, and if I upgrade to even just 256 Mb of PC-3200 RAM at 400 MGz, I'm betting will run just fine (I'll upgrade to 512 Mb eventually... cash problems).

My GeForce4 Ti 4600 video card has worked extremely well even though my processor is not that great (1.3 GHz). I assume that if I upgrade to the CPU mentioned before, my games will run great... besides I don't have $300 to buy a 9700 PRO :(

Oh, and is the right CPU with the specs you said minibubba?
    http://www.smksuperstore.com/2175/viewitem.htm

yep, that's the one :thumb:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Last I heard, FIC mobos were complete garbage.... are they better now?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Thread Information