Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barton Cooling

it's Vantec's latest attempt at a cpu HSF

there is a review of it here:
    http://www.pcextreme.net/aeroflow.php

it seems like an interesting design, but I'll stick with my Tt Volcano's for now
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Check that link. It's a good review. I went with one because my volcano 7+ seemed to noisy. I found that with the TMD my cpu ran 2-3C hotter but like the guy said. Your ears will thank you. I dont think that's going to solve your temp problems. It'll just quiet things down. I've noticed that a lot of cases just have a lot of holes pressed out where the fans mount. Not allowing enough air flow. If your rear fan is suspect. I'd clear the entire opening and put a wire finger gaurd over it. All so it should be above or at least level with your cpu.
    IMHO I think you should try the Artic Silver III before you spend another $30 on a HSF. Follow the instructions on thier site. Making sure not to apply too much. Just a thin coat.
    [size=1.5]AMD 2100+ | Epox 8RDA+
    2x256KHX3000 | AreoFlow TMD
    Antec SmartBlue 350watt | 2 TT80mm case fans | WD 120gig
    Maxtor 60gig | FIC 9800pro | Apex Thermally enhanced case [/size]

Two more things.
    • Run it with the side panel off. If your temps still vary buy 12deg then it's some thing else.
    • If you don't have MOBO Monitor get it so you can see your temp in system tray. It's the only free one that does that. That I've seen.

Anti, thanks for all the great info! :cheers: I will download the mobo monitor as you suggested. I will also try the Arctic Silver as you and everyone else recommends. I just don't understand how some goop will make any significant difference, but I'll go for it.

I removed my side panel and put a 12" table fan blowing into it at low speed. Quite a bit of air being moved. Result: Absolutely no difference as the temps (case or cpu) didn't change by more than 1 degree. Geez... that 12 inch fan is quieter than the little 80mm jobbers. :eek:

I'll keep yuh posted unless you all get tired of hearing me blather on about this subject.

John

Well it wont make a huge difference but it will help. My guess is that your HSF isn't seated properly. As in too much paste inbetween. They say even finger prints can interfer.

Tip for putting your HSF on without removing your board. Unscrew your PS and set it on your CD rom area to give your self room to use the screwdriver. Unplug from board but leave the rest pluged in. It only costs me one tie wrap that way.

each case and layout is different...when it comes to removing and placing your HSF, do whatever you are most comfortable with
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    the palamino core is the hottest to date

seriously, get some AC3 on there to get your temps down some more, tape and that goop that comes standard often just doesn't cut it
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: I use it, and with the stock AMD HSF unit i got
    Load-38 C
    Idle-35 C

And with my new cooler, i get
    Load-37 C
    Idle-33 C
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

I use the TT Volcano 9 on an Asus A7 V 8X, with a 1700+ palomino running at 1744mhz. (oced to the max).

My temps are 29-30c idle and 37-41c with a load.

I lapped the heatsink - flat sanded with 800, then 1000 grit wet sand paper, which makes sure it is nice and flat, removes any imperfections. I then used Shin Etsu - Cooler Master Premium from pcclub.com. It is shown to beat out all other thermal pastes by about 3-4c after a three day cure period. It is MUCH harder to work with I found out, then artic silver 3, since I had never used anything but the Shin Etsu style, then used the AC3, I see why people stick to it. The Cooler Master premium is much thicker, like peanut butter. Once it is on there though, it works like a charm obviously.

Anyway - after I lapped it, I then used a CC and put the paste on the CPU, real thin coat. Then placed the heatsink on the cpu, nice and flat, then locked it down.

Asus has 2 cool things I like for this stuff. Q-fan which changes the fan speed on the temp of the cpu. You can set it up in the bios 11/15, 12/15, ect. in other words it gives you a percentage of full speed, and then a full speed setting. So it is quieter when at idle, works great with the V9.
    And then they have the Asus probe. Which will tell you your fan speeds, temps of Mobo, Cpu, and lets you record all this info. I recorded my fan temps and watched them drop over the 3 day cure, then stable from there on out.
    It also gives you much more info like voltages, and other stuff which is nice about Asus.

Anyway. That is how I did it and what I used. I have my pali overclocked pretty hard and it is running cool as can be. Maybe you need to lap the V9, and then use some AC3 like the guys suggested, and then see what you get.
    Also, it is suggested to clean your HS and CPU areas with rubbing alcohol or the sort prior to putting on the thermal paste. Anything that is on there can impede thermal transfer.

Sorry for the book. I just thought I would share my experieces with one of my systems. I have 4 that I currently have built and running. I love the V9. I also have a new V11 with my newest system listed below, although it isn't finished being built yet. I lapped it as well just to make sure it is flat and no imperfections.

Good luck and keep us posted,
    Chez

Edit -
    PS - From my experience, little things make a big difference when you are talking about HSF, and cooling your cpu. I didn't realize that cleaning, lapping, using alcohol prior to paste coverage, all together can make a big difference in temps.
    Until I tried it and saw the difference for myself.
    And to be honest, the case it is in has probably the worst case cooling. I intake, 1 exhaust, both stock never messed with them and don't work the best, but my temps are good so I haven't messed with em' yet.
    SFlower/Kingwin TT-201AB-W 3 window 12 bay Black/Gold ~
    Antec 480Blue modded+UV blue sleeved-hshrink from Pc-perfomance
    A7V8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 - 2500+ Barton ~ Aero 7+ OR TT 11 Xaser w/ TT fan tube
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    WD120JB 7200 8mg Cache ~ Maxtor Quantum Fireball 60GB
    Lite-on 48x24x48x16x CDRW-DVD Black ~ Aopen 56x Cdrom Black
    Enermax 3.5" Fan controller A3FATR2 ~ Round UV Blue cables/Silver braid
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

Did your temps ever settle down? Let us know. Like was said before 45c not to bad but, I didn't think you should be hittin the 50's with what your OCed at.
    Thanks for the info chezman. You think the lapping helped much?

From all my experience with building computers since my 1st one, an 8088 back when I was 13 with my Dad in the 80's, I learned one thing, research....research.... and do it right the 1st time, it will save you in the long run.

Also, take care of your hardware and it will take care of you.

I think the process of 1st lapping, then cleaning with alcohol, then applying whatever thermal paste you prefer, and finally making sure you don't put too much or too little.............all of this is very important......IN MY PERSONAL OPINION.

The whole idea of thermal paste is to fill in the micro scratches, ect. to get a better connection between your HSF and your cpu. But that can't be done properly if you HS isn't perfectly FLAT in the 1st place. Some are made better than others. I have had to wet sand one for an hour before I could write on it with permanent marker, then wet sand with just enough strokes to get it off......... 5-10. If all of the marker is off, it means it is flat. Others I have marked it with marker and sanded 5-10 strokes, and looked at it and all the marker marks were gone. In other words, it was already perfectly flat/level.
    BTW - That is a trick I saw on a site, was using permanent marker to see when it was finally level/flat.
    Then you clean all the water, sanding crud ect. off with a towel. Then clean it with alcohol to ensure you have the cleanest metal surface you can. Then apply a very thin coat of thermal paste and you are in business.

You did it right the 1st time, you know it is flat. So you know if you have problems after that, you have to look elsewhere.

This is just my opinion and the way I do things. I am not a perfectionist, I just like things to be the best they can. It may be a little overboard, but hey if you put all that money into it, you might as well make sure you take care of it, so it takes care of you.

Chez
    SFlower/Kingwin TT-201AB-W 3 window 12 bay Black/Gold ~
    Antec 480Blue modded+UV blue sleeved-hshrink from Pc-perfomance
    A7V8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 - 2500+ Barton ~ Aero 7+ OR TT 11 Xaser w/ TT fan tube
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    WD120JB 7200 8mg Cache ~ Maxtor Quantum Fireball 60GB
    Lite-on 48x24x48x16x CDRW-DVD Black ~ Aopen 56x Cdrom Black
    Enermax 3.5" Fan controller A3FATR2 ~ Round UV Blue cables/Silver braid
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information