Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barton Cooling

My Temps are the same or worse.

To refresh: 8RDA+, Barton 2500+, Volcano 9 (on high, 5000 RPM).

Room temperature: 80

Case temperature: 95

CPU Temperature: 123

Removing the side cover INCREASES the case temperature by about 5 degrees F. I have one intake fan 80mm in the low front at 2200 RPM. I have a rear exhaust fan, 80 mm, 2400 RPM half ways up at the back. I have an Enermax dual-fan 365W P/S with it’s fan running at 2200 RPM.

I removed the HSF and cleaned it all with 90% isopropyl. Re-applied the thermal goo. Very carefully. No fingers this time around.

No difference.

No matter what the room temperature is, the case temperature is always 13 to 15 degrees hotter, and the CPU is always about 25 to 30 hotter than the case temperature. If the side cover is off, the case temp RISES by about 5 degrees, but the CPU runs a little cooler, about 2 degrees cooler. Having a 12” fan blowing in the open space make absolutely no difference. It is better to have the side cover on!

I haven’t tried AS3 yet, but just may. I can’t believe it would make that much difference though.

I just give up. Heck, it works, it’s extremely stable, Never a freeze, never a blue screen, never anything wrong. In fact, more stable than with my old P3/933 with Intel MB. It just works, it’s fast and it NEVER fails.

But those temps???

Aiyeee...

John
    :cheers:

Hmm, I'll try the permanent marker trick next time I have my HSF off. Thanks for the tip. Now when you talk about sanding are you using a block or just the paper and fingertips. Cause if the surface your sanding with isn't perfectly flat. How do you know your HSF is flat? Suppose you could use a straight edge from different angles. Like on a head.
    The reason I ask is I've got a bench grinder with a quality buffing wheel but I was thinking that might be too much. My temps look good right now. So I doubt I'll be doing any thing like that soon. I agree with you about takin' care of your equipment and, doin' it right the first time. PS: I always send my heads out any way.
    : peace2:
    [size=1.5]AMD 2100+ | Epox 8RDA+
    2x256KHX3000 | AreoFlow TMD
    Antec SmartBlue 350watt | 2 TT80mm case fans | WD 120gig
    Maxtor 60gig | FIC 9800pro | Apex Thermally enhanced case [/size]

John,

Sorry to hear your temps are so high. But if you aren't having any trouble, like you said, not much you can do.

The only thing I would recommend is lapping it, and using a good thermal paste.

BTW - It usually takes 3 days for a "quality" thermal paste to cure. After that is when it is "setup" and provides the best results. You won't notice a drop right off the bat. Sometimes you might, but as a general rule is it takes 3 days from what I have read.

Anti - to properly lap you either use a flat sanding block that the sandpaper gets put on, it has nails and a cover on each side that hold the sandpaper on and flat. Or another way is to tape a piece of sandpaper to a piece of glass. Then you can hold your HS and run it in a figure 8 pattern.
    Toms Hardware should have something on it. I think that is where I read it. Just punch in lapping into any review site search and it should come up with a way they suggest.
    Anyway, I couldn't imagine spending $30 on a HSF and not lapping it. The purpose of buying something other than stock is to make sure your temps are low. Part of that is making sure your HS is flat. OR even worse is spending $200+ on a water setup and not doing it.
    Personally if my temps at idle are over 35c I am searching till I find out why.

I am in the process of resetting up my wifes computer. Her harddrive went out. I run a stock HSF with a 1600+ palamino on an ecs board. Her idle temp was around 37c. It has aluminum base and had a thermal pad.
    I took it out last night to unlock it and lapped it. I had to clean the chip off with a little flat head screw driver to clean all the thermal pad off of it, escecially between the lettering. Then finished it up with an alcohol cleaning.
    I then had to sand the HS with 800 for about 20min. Then 1000 for about 10 min. and she looks sweet as can be. Some people even go a step further and buff it with some type of buffing solution and a wheel. Just a tad though. If it is too "cleaned up" it won't hold the paste well, or transfer heat as well either. Funny how that works. Not too much, not too little. That is all you here about hs's and pastes. ect. ect.
    I will let you know the difference once I get it back together. I am waiting for some more Cooler Master Premium(made by Shin Etsu) to come in, I ordered 2 tubes. I'm gonna try and get some heat screen shots at day 1, day 2 and day 3 from Asus probe, since I will have it record from day 1 and watch the temp drops and then put it in a graph.
    I don't work. So I have been wanting to do this. Since I am going to do it with my new system(listed below- waiting on my modded psu from pc-performance.com- they are SWEET).
    It should be fun...

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

Chez

:blah: :blah: :blah:
    SFlower/Kingwin TT-201AB-W 3 window 12 bay Black/Gold ~
    Antec 480Blue modded+UV blue sleeved-hshrink from Pc-perfomance
    A7V8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 - 2500+ Barton ~ Aero 7+ OR TT 11 Xaser w/ TT fan tube
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    WD120JB 7200 8mg Cache ~ Maxtor Quantum Fireball 60GB
    Lite-on 48x24x48x16x CDRW-DVD Black ~ Aopen 56x Cdrom Black
    Enermax 3.5" Fan controller A3FATR2 ~ Round UV Blue cables/Silver braid
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

I guess we were posting at the same time. Well as long as it's stable then I don't see a problem. Do the temps in the bios read the same?:confused:

Hi Anti, et al...

O.K. - on Saturday I took the V9 off and cleaned it again with alcohol. I then applied a titch of AS3. No difference as of yet, about 48 hours later. :flames:

The CPU temp seems to be very consistently related to the system temp in that it always runs about 28-30 hotter.

Currently we have CPU 129 and system 98, or, 54C/37C. I am doing nothing but light web surfing and posting this reply, nothing taxing at all. Room temp is 82. V9 fan at 4983 RPM.

Is a case temp of 98 when room temp is 82 too hot :?:

Do I need another brand of HSF?

Please don’t forget me ‘till we get this solved one way or another.

Thanx...

John

John,

I don't know what to tell you. Something doesn't seem right though.
    The ONLY thing I can think of is that your HSF is not sitting FLAT on your CPU. That is the only thing that could cause temps that HIGH that I can think of.

Have you checked to see if it is flat?

I posted my setup above, and it should run HOTTER than yours.
    Now that is has cured and settled in, I am running 26c/23c (cpu/mobo) and with a load via Sandra I am running 34c/27c. This is with a palamino 1800+ overclocked to a 2200+. I am running a V9 on this system as well.
    If my CPU was running at above 50c I would be worried. It will cut down on its lifespan extremely.

The only 2 things now that I can think of is
    A)Heatsink isn't sitting flat on your CPU, and you need to lap it to find out.
    B)for some reason your CPU is just one that runs REALLY hot
    or C)I guess maybe your temp monitor could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I REALLY think your HS isn't flat though. If your mobo is running 37C, your CPU should be no way over 50c. That is JMHO.

Chez

I wish I wouldn't have lapped my stock HS for fun the other day. Otherwise I would put that in, with the goop they give with it, to see if I could see how much higher my temps would be with a junk set up like that.
    I might try the HS and the stock goop anyway to see how much higher it is.
    Actually, I'll do that just to see.

Obviously though, I did something right. Cause I dropped about 10C by lapping my Volcano 9, and using Cooler Master premium, and I WASN'T OCing yet. So the temp drop would HIGHER, had I have been OCing it already and saw how much higher the temps were to start with.
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

i don't know if this has already been covered in this thread, but it sounds like you have a problem with case cooling...

your mobo (case) temp is noticably higher than your room temp...this should not be the case, a couple degrees hotter, sure, but not like that.

take off the side pannel and direct a desk fan (bigger the better) into it and see how much your temps drop.

your cpu is only running 17 C hotter than the air it has to work with, which is not that bad..although that could be better too...
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Minibubba,

Up higher in the thread we went over that, and he said it went about 5c higher or something weird. We suggested taking it off with a fan and all though.
    The case on the one cpu of mine I was talking about in here has one intake and that is it, and it runs WAY cooler.

It is definetely a WEIRD situation with it running that hot. Not sure what else to suggest for him!

Chez

Knowledge is POWER

I don't remember seeing in the thread anywhere just HOW MUCH voltage you're sending to the CPU?

I have my Barton 2500 running at 2.3G using a Global Win 488CAK on an ASUS board and I'm usually in that 38 C range when surfing, and 42-45C when gaming.

I think I'm giving around 1.75V, but I've been playing and can't remember right now. :(

Before I had this GlobalWin HSF, I had a $20 unit that looked pretty good, but just never got good contact with my CPU! I took it back to the store....

The HSF has a 'step' at one end doesn't it?? You didn't perhaps get that flipped 180 degrees did ya??

oh yeah, I'm using that Artic Silver 3 stuff as well.....

Keep feeding us info, maybe we'll figure something out.

You're PS is blowing OUT isn't it?? ;)

What program are you using to get your temps. Both MBM5 and sandra don't have my temps in the right slots. Although USDM does. (the one that came with the board)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information