Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Barton Cooling

Personally, with the ASUS boards, they come with Asus probe as part of the mobo. It monitors temps, fan speeds ect. Asus also has Q-fan which you can set into the bios so your CPU fan doesn't have to go 100% when it is at idle. So I don't even run my V9 at full power when it is idling. I have it set at 12/15.

Chez

I hope we can help you find something to get your temps down.

Do you happen to have another HSF, even if it is the stock one, to test it out to see if it gets better temps, via better contact with the cpu?
    SFlower/Kingwin TT-201AB-W 3 window 12 bay Black/Gold ~
    Antec 480Blue modded+UV blue sleeved-hshrink from Pc-perfomance
    A7V8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 - 2500+ Barton ~ Aero 7+ OR TT 11 Xaser w/ TT fan tube
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    WD120JB 7200 8mg Cache ~ Maxtor Quantum Fireball 60GB
    Lite-on 48x24x48x16x CDRW-DVD Black ~ Aopen 56x Cdrom Black
    Enermax 3.5" Fan controller A3FATR2 ~ Round UV Blue cables/Silver braid
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

You never did tell us if you changed the Vcore. Also does your PS have a fan temp probe that hooks to the board? Try unhooking that, just a thought.:confused:

P.S. Make sure your High Temp Shutdown is enabled under PC health in your bios. So at least you'll shutdown before meltdown. Personaly mines set to warn at 63c and shutdown at 65c.
    [size=1.5]AMD 2100+ | Epox 8RDA+
    2x256KHX3000 | AreoFlow TMD
    Antec SmartBlue 350watt | 2 TT80mm case fans | WD 120gig
    Maxtor 60gig | FIC 9800pro | Apex Thermally enhanced case [/size]

A note on the on board Hi temp shut down. According to Epox
    Yes, the board uses the AMD Athlon XP internal temperature sensor for thermal protection features. However, the temperature shown to the user via the BIOS and USDM software tools is via an onboard sensor only.
    So it has a better reading than what we see. One other thing you might want to try. Is this hot fix from MS if your running XP. Don't ask me why but, it's helped some.

Thanx to you all for your interest and suggestions.

I have not changed any voltages. The PS fan (Enermax 365) is blowing out and its internal fan is blowing down into the case. The other rear fan is blowing out. The front bottom fan is blowing in. If the side cover is removed, the system temps go higher by about 4-5 F and the CPU temp drops by about 3 F.

I put the stock HSF back in and the CPU temps went up by about 3 F.

I got the V9 ‘cause it got such a good review right here in TweakTown.

Maybe I’ll try the lapping technique. But then, my case temps are still too high. I have two Maxtor 40G 7200 RPM HD’s. Video card is a Matrox G/450 (I am obviously not a gamer) :eek:

It is now 72 F room temp, case temp is 88 F. CPU is 116 F.

Thanx again,

John :cheers:

Somebody corect me if I'm wrong but, shouldn't the internal fan on the PS be sucking air into itself. So the one on the backcan blow out the hot air. That's how mine is. If yours isn't? That could be a problem. The PS creates heat. So you don't want it blowing air into your case.

Both the bottom fan, and rear should be sucking air into the PSU. The rear should be blowing air out of the case.

That could be some of you internal temp. problem to start with.

The V9, is a proven better than stock cooler. Although your setup just seems to be a little more unique.
    Especially if your mobo temps go higher when you pull the site case off, put an external fan blowing on it, and your temps go higher. It defeats the principles of common sense, as well as others.
    All your temps SHOULD drop?!?!?

Chez

Lap it and see what happens. It might just be the trick you need.
    And get that psu fan turned around so it is sucking air back into the psu.
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

Well, I did something that was not recommended as I didn’t want to try the lapping just yet. I bought a Vantec AerFlow and put it in using the AS3.

Case temps no change, naturally. CPU temps down 3 C at idle and 5 C under load for 30 minutes. It has been in for only 4 hours now so the 3 day settling in of AS3 hasn’t yet taken effect. Being a skeptic by nature, I’ll believe that when I see it

I will say though that the Vantec is MUCH quieter than the V9.

I have read some reports of the TMD fan failing prematurely. Most reviews though were very positive. Time will tell.

Ahhhh.... the silence is wonderful compared to that V9 screamer.

Thanx again for all your suggestions and perserverence in this matter. It just may not be over yet though. :shrug:

John

I don't know if AS3 has a 3 day cure period or not.

I just know that with the Shin Etsu, since it is a LOT thicker and by the make up of it, it does take 3 days to fully "set".

Good luck though.

And if you did read a review on the Aero, one of the things they do recommend is LAPPING, as it does have a pretty "bumpy" surface, although they did say it could be covered with thermal paste. Just something I read before buying mine. I know that is the 1st thing I will be doing before my install.

Glad to hear it is quieter!

Chez

Things like the fan and the heatsink is all important, but there is another thing that is also important and its the heatsink base. Without proper contact with the CPU die you won't have good performance no matter if you have a heastink made out of diaments with a 15k RPM fan on. It's important that the heatsink base is as smooth and straight as possible, heatsink manufacturers know about this and some of the heatsinks have such exellent bases that you can see yourself in them. However the Aero7 is not one of those heatsinks, but we do notice that CM has worked on the base to make it smooth, I guess it's acceptable.
    pureoc.com
    They did a review on the Aero 7.

Knowledge is POWER

It doesn't make much thermal sense to me that the PS has one of it's fan blowing into the case.

I wonder if the one blowing in is the one positioned right over the CPU HSF??

If it were mine, I'd probably try to reverse it. :) Just to see how things change.

Sounds like you are on your way though with the new HSF.

Good luck man!

I'm going to have to agree with that. Every thing I've read says that the PS should be drawing air from the case and blowing it out the back. If yours isn't I'd try returning it. It sounds like some one at the factory put it in wrong. Hadn't heard of the TMD failing prematurely. I'll have to keep an eye on that. I do like the quite though.:D

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information