Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barton Cooling

Barton 2500+ with Epox 8RDA+ mobo.

As per advise from many here, I just replaced the stock HSF assembly from AMD with a Volcano 9.

I am disappointed, it does so little more than the stock unit with its thermal tape.

I was averaging about 120 degrees with the AMD unit and now only 118 degrees with the Volcano 9. I even replaced the thermal tape with the goop that came with the 9. Hardly much of a difference. :(

Room temperature has remained constant at 76 degrees. Case temperature is now slightly higher at 89 vs. 86 with the AMD stock unit.

Are these add-on fans for real, or, just another way to grab your dollars?

Please comment/advise. For now, I think they are a ripp-off.:eek:

Thanx,

John

You shouldve went with the Volcano 7+ as it gives the best bag for ya buck, and provides excellent cooling

Quote Originally Posted by lcpguy
    Barton 2500+ with Epox 8RDA+ mobo.

As per advise from many here, I just replaced the stock HSF assembly from AMD with a Volcano 9.

I am disappointed, it does so little more than the stock unit with its thermal tape.

I was averaging about 120 degrees with the AMD unit and now only 118 degrees with the Volcano 9. I even replaced the thermal tape with the goop that came with the 9. Hardly much of a difference. :(

Room temperature has remained constant at 76 degrees. Case temperature is now slightly higher at 89 vs. 86 with the AMD stock unit.

Are these add-on fans for real, or, just another way to grab your dollars?

Please comment/advise. For now, I think they are a ripp-off.:eek:

Thanx,

John

at exactly what speed is your volcano 9 running at? the volcano 7+ is indeed better.. but i found it a tad noiser, i woulda got one if it had variable speed.

thermal tape and the goop that comes with most HSF's is not real effective.
    If you get a tube of Artic Silver III (~$6 US) you should see a better drop in temps
    I'd also recomend using the rhetrostat to control the v9, the thermal probe will try to maintain your cpu at about 40 - 50 C

I personaly use the v9 on a overclocked 2100+ Palamino and maintain about 38 C idle and 42 C max load

also, if your PSU has special Molex plugs for fans, I'd highly recomend NOT pluging the v9 into one as it will not be able to perform at it's best

how is the airflow in your case? the peformance of a HSF greatly depends on the air it has to work with
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

When I first posted this topic, I had the V9 speed at 3200RPM. I now have it at 4000RPM. The max speed is just too noisy for me. The 2500+ is running at 2.1 GHZ at present and the post screen identifies it as a 2800+.

At 4000RPM my temps in a 78 degree room are:

Idle: 40 C

Load (10 minutes): 52 C (3 consecutive passes ar ziping an 880 meg folder.

Case: Fairly constant at 29 - 33 C

Good airflow in case, rounded cables, etc. One front bottom mounted 80 mm fan sucking in at 2400 RPM. One 80 MM exhaust fan on back of case blowing out at 2400 RPM. Enermax dual fan P/S, 350 watt.

I need education here. Maybe these temps are OK and I just don't know it. Then again, from what many of you report, your temps are much cooler. But then I haven't seen and posts showing results with a 2500+. Do the 2500+'s run hotter than the non-barton models?

Thanx much in advance for putting up with such an ignorant user as me.

John :confused:

the palamino core is the hottest to date

try running it with the side door off and see if there is a noticeable drop in temps...if so then your case cooling is part of the problem. the interior should only be a few degrees above room temp at most.

seriously, get some AC3 on there to get your temps down some more, tape and that goop that comes standard often just doesn't cut it

53 C @ max load isn't too awful, but it's getting close to 60 C and that shoud be avoided

Well he's got a Barton not a Palamino. The Artic SilverIII will bring it down another 3-5 C. Follow the instructions on their web site. You can pick some up at Fry's. One thing that brougt my temp's down was when I got a new case with an air duct on the side pannel. It funnels air straight to the cpu fan from outside the case. I don't think it would be a hard mod to do your self. If your not afraid to cut a hole in your side pannel. Did you change your voltage at all and how much thermal goop did you use? Too much can be a bad thing to.

Go easy on your self. We're all learning as we go.
    Thanx much in advance for putting up with such an ignorant user as me.
    [size=1.5]AMD 2100+ | Epox 8RDA+
    2x256KHX3000 | AreoFlow TMD
    Antec SmartBlue 350watt | 2 TT80mm case fans | WD 120gig
    Maxtor 60gig | FIC 9800pro | Apex Thermally enhanced case [/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Anti
    Well he's got a Barton not a Palamino.
    I know that , he asked:
    Do the 2500+'s run hotter than the non-barton models?
    so i told him palamino is hotter

Opps, my bad. Sorry minibubba.
    Yes the palamino's do run hotter. What's the default Vcore on a barton?
    [size=1.5]AMD 2100+ | Epox 8RDA+
    2x256KHX3000 | AreoFlow TMD
    Antec SmartBlue 350watt | 2 TT80mm case fans | WD 120gig
    Maxtor 60gig | FIC 9800pro | Apex Thermally enhanced case [/size]

Anti, or anyone else,

what is an Areoflow TMD? Is it a fan, a heatsink, duh... can you tell me more about this device?

Hey! I told you I was ignorant. The more I read here I'm beginning to feel stupid as well. :tears:

John

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information