Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: doing some upgrades... compatibility check plz

Well I'm going to do a whole lot of upgrading on my computer pretty soon, and I'd like to make sure everything will work good and at optimal performance.

My current configuration:
    AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
    GeForce4 Ti 4600
    512 Mb PC-133 SDRAM
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    250 watt power supply
    Not quite sure what my motherboard type is but here's some info on it: Chipset: The VIA KT133 chipset consisting of VIA VT8363 North Bridge, VIA VT82C686A Super South Bridge (that came straight out of the manual). It's a microATX board.

I'm going to get a new ATX case, FIC-AU13 ATX motherboard (nForce2 chipset, 6 PCI slots), 450 watt power supply, 256 Mb PC-3200 DDR-RAM at 400 MGz, and an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 333 MGz FSB, Thoroughbred core.

All I need to know now is if it will all work together and work good... I'm pretty sure it will but I would like to ask the experts to make sure ;)

it looks good to me, except I'd recomend that you get another stick of 256, 512 makes a lot of difference (definatly in a dual channel config)...it should be a requirment these days to have 512 :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I'm going to put in a plug for my motherboard... Epox 8RDA+. I've had great results with overclocking it (see my sig) and it had the features I wanted.

Also, I agree w/ bubba on the RAM -- 512 is four times better than 256. And IMO it's worth it to pay a bit of a premium for some decent memory. Critical if you're going to overclock.
    Barton 2500+
    Epox 8RDA+
    2x Apacer 256MB PC3200
    Igloo 2500Pro
    Radeon 7500 64MB (not a gaming machine)
    O/C: 220FSB, 10.5 CPU multiplier

After I buy all the required upgrades I need, I will be buying another stick of 256 Mb of RAM... but I am really tight on cash right now and can't afford to buy $35 worth of more RAM. I just need enough to get my computer running until I can save up again.

I've never overclocked a CPU before... the crappy motherboard I have now I don't think is able to, but I have overclocked my video card (not that hard, though :o). Maybe overclocking the CPU I'm going to get is a good idea, if I get a good fan/heatsink combo ;)

Thanks for the help.

Thread Information