Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Athlon XP 2100+ Cooling Question

I currently have the fan/heatsink that came with my retail Athlon XP 2100+ processor installed... Whenever I did anything even remotely processor intensive... sometimes even things simple as opening large Adobe programs... the overheating alarm would sound. So, as a temporary solution, i hooked up another fan, and just taped it inside of my case on the side of the current fan.

That has kept everything cool up until now. But now that I'm getting back into some heavy graphic design stuff, it keeps overheating. Even if I scan a photo in Photoshop at 600 dpi, the alarm starts sounding and it shoots up to 72 degrees celcius until the scanning is complete and it goes back down to the low 60's.

What is a really good heatsink/fan that I can get for my processor that will allow me to do everything that I need it to do... Very CPU intensive things without getting too hot?
    <table border="1" bordercolor="#888888" bordercolorlight="#888888" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1.83Ghz</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Abit KX7-333</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 1024MB Crucial DDR PC2700</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> NVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro (Fear my graphic power!)</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 120GB Western Digital Caviar Special Edition</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Chieftec FS710 Silver Aluminum Case w/ Plexiglass Side Window    &amp ;nbsp; &nbsp </font></td></tr></table>

The best HSF is IMO the Thermaltake Volcano 7+. There are many others out there that will get ya the cooling you want for a cheaper price but its really only a $10-20 price difference so why not?

You may not need to buy a new one just yet though. Did you try simply re-installing your current HSF? Applie some new thermal grease too. Maybe simply buying some higher quality thermal grease will solve your problem. A tube of Artice Silver 3 should only cost ya about $5-10 CND.

like Dyck15 said, a volcano 7+ or 11 would be a good HSF, along with a tube of Arctic Silver 3

how are the temps if you run it with the side panel off?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Hmmm, the 11+ looks nice. I shall order that one. Thanks for your help!
    <table border="1" bordercolor="#888888" bordercolorlight="#888888" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1.83Ghz</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Abit KX7-333</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 1024MB Crucial DDR PC2700</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> NVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro (Fear my graphic power!)</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 120GB Western Digital Caviar Special Edition</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Chieftec FS710 Silver Aluminum Case w/ Plexiglass Side Window    &amp ;nbsp; &nbsp </font></td></tr></table>

Quote Originally Posted by enhancedstudios
    shoots up to 72 degrees celcius until the scanning is complete and it goes back down to the low 60's.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats really hot, even for an AMD. You may have a thermal diode problem, or you may not have any TIM on ur HSF. 72 C is close to the point of burn-out
    But like they said, one of the best coolers for Socket A is the Volcano 7+.
    Is the 11 any good?
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

I just read a bunch of reviews on the 11+, and it looks pretty amazing. Definitely good enough to solve my problems, it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by homeworld1031tx
    Is the 11 any good?
    it's an upgrade from the v7+...basically the ******* child of the v7+ and v9

Tt took the basic design of the v7+ and added the smartfan II from the v9...and now you've got the v11 :)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I got both 7+ and 11.
    Personally the 11 is my favorite of the two.

Just got my new fan... Volcano 11+... installed it... and all I have to say is, amazing. Now my system runs at a cool 48 degrees

thats still mighty hot. i have a mate who has a 2100+ revision b thoroughbred, he only uses the HSF that came with it.

he gets to about 42c on load, most of the time around the 33-36c area.

That cant be right what u are getting, it surely should run cooler :confused:
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information