Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Xeon Processor

Would you recommend a Xeon processor for a new gaming rig? I need to build a computer strictly for gaming so its not going to be a cheap one. I noticed the Xeon CPu's are not that much more than a P4 CPU of the same speed but I don't know squat about Xeon CPU's. Are they new or have they been around for quite awhile?

Its a server processor and you'd be better off with the standerd p4 if you want it for gaming:thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

as rugbydude has said, they are server processors
    they are multi-processor capable, unlike p4's, but if your not going to be using them in dual (which is very expensive), its just a waste of money

would using dual cpu's for gaming give you a huge performance boost. kind of a stupid question now that i think about it. but i dont know much about xeon's either. Or a better question, would it be worth it?

Games and Xeons are not good friends. They don't get along all that well and the gamse perform poorly on the xeon's, dual or not. U are better off with a p4.

Xeon's also use mobo's that require EEC/Registered memory which while not only being more expensive (as well as the mobo itself) is also slower than normal memory.

Not all xeon mobos require ecc. the asus ppd-lw does not. I blieve it has the intel 7505 chipset on it. As for ecc being more expensive, than is not necessarily the case. We can buy 1 gig ddr 266 ecc for abpt 20% less than non-ecc as there is not nearly that demand for it.

That's right, if you use you rig just for game. Don't use Xeon.
    First the available mobo only have at most 2 32bit 33mhz pci adapter, the rest are either 64 bit 66mhz or 100mhz. And the size of the mobo is usually extended ATX, which hard and expensive to get.
    But for performance and stability, of course xeon is way up there.
    Like when I load a heavy scene in Maya, in P4(2gb ram) i barely move the camera, But in xeon, the camera easily moved.

So, just stick with P4 until you really need to spend US$5000 more.
    Intel Server Board SE7505VB2
    Dual xeon 3.06Ghz
    Nvidia quadro 4 750xgl
    DDR 2100 ECC Reg 4048mb
    Raid 5 Array 320 gb seagate sata
    Apple 23" HD CINEMA DISPLAY w/ Apple adc to dvi converter

Thread Information