Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Barton core and the thoroughbred what are the differences??

OK, I have a AMD Athlon XP 2000 processor (Thoroughbred core) but I am thinking of getting a new Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB and a new processor now that I am getting a decent video card! (ordered a new fx 5600 256 mb) So....I have heard from a lot of you that the barton core is the way to go.....is it? I can get a 2600 or 2800 for a resonable price now that the bartons are out, but I am thinking of getting a 2500 because it has the new core. In laymans terms can you explain the differences between the two? By that I mean, how would a barton as opposed to a thoroughbred core chip perform on games, apps and such?? What are the differences in performance?? I am not really talking about the SPEED of the processor, because they come in all sizes. Rather I am interested in how the processors perform according to their cores! Do you prefer one over the other? If so...Why??
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

The Thoroughbred has a 256KB L2 cache while the Barton has a 512KB L2 cache but a lower clock speed.

and the bartons are 333MHz and 400MHz FSB. there aren't any 266 FSB bartons...but there are 333MHz FSB tbred b's.
    Barton 2500+ (218x11) - SLK800A w/Vantec Tornado - G-byte GA7N400L1 - 256x2 TwinMOS DDR400 - BBA R9600Pro - Antec 350W

The difference between the Barton and Tbred? The extra cache, thats it.

Take a look at these die shots:

The first is a Tbred core, note the two blocks at the bottom. Thats lvl2 cache. The 2nd pic is of a Barton core note the only difference is the extra cache.

Performance wise, the extra cache does almost nothing for the Athlon. IMHO its not worth the cost. Grab a cheap 2200+ Tbred for ~$130AU or a 2400+ Tbred for ~$150AU and overclock it, the extra mhz will do far more for performance than the cache will.

Cheers,
    Tom.

Rage.....why won't the extra cache effect the speed of the Athlon. I am rather curious.

I see talk about the extra cache being useless on the Athlons but I disagree. In gaming benchmarks the extra cache shows up. Results will vary from application to application.

If nothing else that extra cache makes a larger footprint on your heatsink to transfer heat away from the CPU! ;)

I firmly believe that the 2500+ combined with an NForce2 mobo is the best value on the market today for an overclocker who is interested in building a gaming system. Of course that is just my opinion.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Thread Information