Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question on processor speed.....

I doubt they will ever try and explain this to the public because its a very useful marketing gimmick for AMD. After all if you know nothing about comps and your trying to decide between an AMD 3200+ and an Intel 3.2, which from the names seem to be about the same speed AMD hopes the average Joe will choose the cheaper AMD proc :bounce2: .

Quote Originally Posted by theyneverknew
    After all if you know nothing about comps and your trying to decide between an AMD 3200+ and an Intel 3.2, which from the names seem to be about the same speed AMD hopes the average Joe will choose the cheaper AMD proc :bounce2: .
    Last I heard the 3200+ was more expensive than the P4. Of course that was last month! :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of Athlon CPUs but I would never recommend the 3200+ based on it's high price. The 2500+ on the other hand is an outstanding value and even more so if you can clock it up to a 3200 speed as I have done.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Well even if the 3200+ is more expensive the PR is still a useful marketing gimmick for their other cpu models, which are the ones that the average Joe is more likely to buy so it'll probly be around for a while :cheers:

It's not a gimmick. Intel has the public convinced that CPU core frequency is the single most critical measurement of an entire system's speed. This makes sense for Intel at the moment for obvious reasons but they are so obsessed with MHz and Moore's law they may be limiting the true power potential of their CPUs.

Those that read these forums know better.

AMD simply cannot afford to market their CPUs head to head with Intel by playing the same game as Intel so they are forced to come up with a different game. We all know that any of the new Athlons will outperform any Pentium of the same core frequency so it makes sense for AMD to stress the performance of their CPUs from a relative perpective.

AMDs scheme is actually less confusing than Intel's since most people have a very hard time understanding why a 3.0GHz P4 is faster than a 3.06GHz P4 but have no trouble grasping that a 2500+ may outperform a 2400+ which runs at a higher frequency (some of you may dispute this).

The truth lies in the benchmarks but it's still very hard to determine which CPU/ chipset is going to be faster in most situations.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Beefy Guest

Well said. :thumb:

and other than itanium, they're outta the 64 bit game........who'd upgrade to a 32 bit processor nowadays.......they'd have to be givin' them away, and regardless, your's truly here is buying a 64 come first quarter 2004 (dual channel & longhorn beta) :thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by JSR
    who'd upgrade to a 32 bit processor nowadays.......
    Anyone on a realistic budget. There is an unbelievable amount of people out there with sub-par systems who can't afford a few hundred dollars to upgrade their systems and have been waiting for an opportunity like this. I, for one, will be all too happy to go pick up a new speedy AMD 32-bit cpu once the Athlon64 takes off. The Athlon64 may be the 'next-big-thing' but I have no intention of getting one until a few revisions and price drops. If the fanatical and wealthy just have to have the latest and greatest, that's fine with me, just don't forget about the rest of the real world.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

There are literally millions of people out there that don't need the performance.
    The majority of computers I have built for people are being used primarily for net surfing. Theres no need to have the latest and greatest.

Chez

but, c'mon.....this has been out for some time http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD01MzY=
    and, hey......no skin off my nose, i'm a gamer, not a surfer, biggest gun, bam you're toast (due to system inadequacies), simple as that :thumb:

I am well aware of the the 1700+ potential, but you assume too much, not everyone is an overclocking zealot

...and even that comes back to what I said earlier.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information