Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ht - the future?

suddenly a new technology arises - hyper threading

at fisrt glance it seems to be the ultimate solution in squeezing that last bit of speed out the cpu. what doesnt make sense is why it works.

as i understand it, the cpu is treated as two cpu's, and thus it is given twice the number of commands it would normally recieve. the question i wanna ask is how is it possible for 1 cpu to do the job of 2?

all that i can think of is that as there are now many more commands waiting to be processed, many more than the cpu can handle, there will always be a command waiting to be processed, reducing the delay caused by the cpu havin to wait for another command.

am i right, and wouldnt a single cpu based system recieve the same amount of commands as a duallie?

HT Doesnt do as much work as you think it does.
    From one source i heard "up to 25% faster" (figure may very with source, this is just something that stuck in my head)
    Key words, are UP TO
    Meaning that during use of certain applications it will perform better than a nonHT cpu. But that means nothing when you got a 3 gig processor running.
    I would take all this hype with a grain of salt.
    Not to say that HT doesnt yeild any gain, as it does, but I dont think that its worth all the hype.
    Just my 2 cents.

In SSE2 apps it does add quite a bit processing power. Up to 20-25% is very likely.. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by The__tweaker
    In SSE2 apps it does add quite a bit processing power. Up to 20-25% is very likely.. ;)

He's right.

If I benchmark in Sandra 2003 without HT, my scores drop quite a bit, up to a few thousand points in CPU tests. :eek:

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

LOL better leave it on then..

A lot of folks do use Photoshop, which has long been capable of taking advantage of dual processors.

But how many apps do you suppose the average person uses that are going to be ran more advantageously?

Seriously

I mean, it's cool and all, and not too pricey if you're building a system anyway. Just as well go for it. But how much pay-off does it really hold for most folks on a daily basis.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

A lot. I read somewhere that about 8/10 applications are multi-threaded.

And why wouldn't you want to be able to multi task with multiple applications seamlessly? Of course you would.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Thread Information