Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Really stupid question

Ok, I know this is stupid, but I've got to ask.

I've never owned an AMD system.

Someone gave me an AMD k7 697mhz system a while back. I use it as a little backup box incase my main rig has problems. I back up files to it as well.

It's ok but slow. Noisy as heck too.

Anyhow, can someone tell me what this chip would compare to in Intel talk? I would like to know so I can relax about it's slowness or really start worrying.

Well that would be an Athlon/Duron 700 and likely the SDRAM is what's makin' it feel slow but these did battle with the PIII 700's at that time.

K7 and PIII at this time were equal!
    I bought my K7 750 for the price of a Pentium 667, man this was good times!!!
    Dont get rid of this processor, those rock!!!
    Just run it with PC133 sdram at 100Mhz (syncro) with agressive timings and you got a really good little machine!!
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-
    AMD 1800+ @ 1880Mhz on A7S333 , 250 Meg DDR 333 Platinum @2-2-2-6
    Asus TNT 2 32 meg (128) , 250W ATX, 200W AT (same case)
    Steel automotive intake fan (see avatar) , 3X40mm exaust fans in the back

Thanks Wiggo,
    That gives me something to go on.

When I open a program the CPU usage pegs at 100% and I wait for something to happen. But once the program opens it runs like a champ!

It works well for a little backup system.

I'm running a 900MHz with 512MB and a GF4MX440 and it is pretty fast with XP.

It's very responsive and is a great extra machine for the family to use but with any XP machine you need lots and lots of RAM and most older machines don't have enough. Many new ones don't for that matter but you should be well over 256MB to get smooth performance.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

Thread Information