Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Athlon 64FX

Quote Originally Posted by Woody_87th
    I believe the one missing pin on the FX is the pin that allows up to eight CPUs in an Opteron setup. The FX will be limited to dual CPU at the most. I may be wrong but I'm fairly sure this is the case. The 64 will be strictly single CPU.
    64 FX is single processor only
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I've been out of the loop with the FX-51 model....:o

I know the Athlon64 is designed for gaming and general use.
    I know the Opteron is designed for server and workstation use.
    What is the Athlon FX-51 designed for ? :?:
    SPAM Special Ops

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner
    The Athlon 64 and FX processors are basically Opterons, I thought you knew this.
    I thought the Athlon64 was built on the Clawhammer core and that the Opteron was built on the Sledgehammer core...??
    SPAM Special Ops

Quote Originally Posted by E^vol
    I thought the Athlon64 was built on the Clawhammer core and that the Opteron was built on the Sledgehammer core...??
    That's correct.
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    64 FX is single processor only
    OK, I'll take your word for it. I have a vague recollection about reading something about this. The problem is that there tends to be a fair amount of misinformation on any kind of system prior to its official release. Manufacturers sometimes make last minute changes to the production model so we get all screwed up.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

yay only about a week to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody_87th
    OK, I'll take your word for it. I have a vague recollection about reading something about this. The problem is that there tends to be a fair amount of misinformation on any kind of system prior to its official release. Manufacturers sometimes make last minute changes to the production model so we get all screwed up.
    I've seen it for myself, you can believe me mate ;)
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by aznx
    yay only about a week to go!
    Yep! :woot:
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

As for available speeds, the naming of the processors and the future of the Athlon 64, nothing yet is officially known, but there is a considerable amount of information out there, the consensus of which is:

The Athlon 64 will be initially available in a 754-pin, single channel memory model clocked at 2.0GHz and named the Athlon 64 3200+ and a 940-pin (identical to the Opteron) dual-channel memory model clocked at 2.2Ghz and named, oddly enough, the Athlon FX-51.

As you can see, the resemblance of the rumored 'FX' Athlon 64 to the Opteron processor is striking.

The Athlon FX is not supposed to be multi-processor compatible, but opinions are divided as to whether this is an actual rebranded Opteron processor... More likely, the Athlon FX is simply an Athlon 64 chip which passed all the tests well enough to meet the elevated requirements of processor and system bandwidth. We will have to wait for the release date to find out for sure.

PCStats
    SPAM Special Ops

The Athlon FX is a 939pin version of the 940pin Opteron, the missin' pin removes the SMP support from the CPU.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information