Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Mobo makers seek to bundle Athlon 64 for sale

Mobo makers seek to bundle Athlon 64 for sale

In view of the potential short supply of Athlon 64 processors, first-tier Taiwanese motherboard makers are negotiating with Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) to bundle their motherboards with AMDís new-generation processors for sale in the retail market, according to the companies.

According to executives from Asustek Computer, Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS), Micro-Star International (MSI) and Gigabyte Technology, the companies plan to purchase the processors directly from AMD and then sell them together with their motherboards.

The motherboard makers said they have approached AMD with the plan, but have yet to finalize any deals.

AMD said it is giving favorable consideration to the request from motherboard makers and will strive to meet its customersí needs.

For initial sale of the Athlon 64-bundled products, motherboard companies said they would target the high-end market due to their relative high prices.

The entry-level Athlon 64 3200+ processor will be quoted by AMD at US$416 per unit, while a high-end version will carry a price tag of over US$600. It would cost individual buyers another US$160 for motherboards using a K8T800 chipset from VIA Technologies, while the FOB (freight-on-board) wholesale prices are estimated at around US$130, local motherboard makers said.

Digi-Times

There really going to cost that much:eek: And also if motherboards are going to start coming with procs it would prevent the choice of what proc u use with the mobo wouldn't it. To begin with anyway.:confused:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Well I expect at first there won't be a whole lot of choices anyway so what's the difference.
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon Barton 2500+ with SLK-800 and 4800rpm 80mm fan, ATi 9700Pro(AIW), Dual 256MB Corsair XMS 3200c. Seagate Barracuda SATA. 200MHz fsb with 11X multiplier, RAM latency: 2,2,2,5

4. Default

If I had money to throw around sure, I'd buy one to test it out but I dont have that luxury as many people probably dont so I dont see a big market on this at the beginning.

The expensive one is the Athlon FX and is basically a renamed Opteron without the dual CPU capability.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

rugbydude: I think the reasoning behind this idea is simply that motherboard manufacturers are worried about Athlon64 shortages. This way you're guaranteed to get a CPU with your motherboard. If it does in fact happen, I'm sure it will stop as soon as there are plentiful Athlon64 supplies.

AMD owners: Have you signed the petition here?

about time they got a deal happening...
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Thread Information