Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Painfully Slow TBird

System:
    MSI K7N420 Pro, AMD 1600+, running 133/266/66, (1664), 512 DDR/266 in Slot 1, 256 DDR/266 in slot 3, Radeon 9000 Pro, 120GB 7200 Maxtor ATA 133, Windows XP Pro.

All BIOS settings triple-checked. System is stable, and runs well - but the benchmarks show it as running a little slower than a TBird 850! The memory shows as running at about PC100 speed. The processor speed shows 1667, which is OK.

Makes no difference which memory board is used, or which goes where (avoiding slot 2, of course). CPU temp is 123 deg F at ambient of 87 deg F. Voltages are nominal.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Wally

Ya should be usin' two sticks of memory that are the same size and likely your two different sized sticks are causin' ya prob there.

The Sandra CPU Arithmetic benchmark is a good measure of your pure processing power (MIPS).

Run the memory bandwidth test to see if its your memory thats holding you back.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Tested with each stick in slot one alone, no difference.

Memory shows as running at about PC100 speed - I think that it is unlikely that two different sticks would have identical problems that give identical results.

I would like to know some way to tell whether the problem is the motherboard or the CPU without throwing money at it...

Thanks,
    Wally

Well, how does the CPU test?

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

No test that I have found so far shows any problem with the CPU (or the MSI motherboard) - except for the minor fact that the 1600+ is slightly slower than an Athlon 850!

The CPU speed is shown as 1667, but the performance is less than that of the 850.

Wally

Flashing the MIS BIOS to the latest version appears to have solved the problem.

The motherboard driver set was about two weeks old, so I installed the latest set. That didn't help the speed, but killed the network. I rolled that back, and reluctantly decided to flash the BIOS and load the latest motherboard and video drivers.

Flashing the BIOS wasn't too hard - you have to unzip the BIOS download to a floppy (and what if you have one of the new computers with no floppy?), start the system with a Win98 or ME floppy (and what if you don't have one?), load the BIOS files onto the RAMdisk, and flash it from there. Luckily, all went well.

Actually, the hardest part was keeping the system on the generic XP VGA driver thru the reboots! XP will quietly and stubbonly load the ATI drivers every reboot, which I didn't want.

I finally got the latest motherboard drivers loaded, and then the latest ATI drivers.

I then ran the benchmarks, and the CPU was finally up to speed. I'm not as certain of the memory - it is over twice as fast as it was, so I suppose that I will live with that for awhile.

One side benefit is that the MSI motherboard, which was limited to the XP 1600+, will now support a 2800+. The best bang for the buck here is a 2400+ for $95, so now I have another decision to make.

I suppose that I also need to investigate the suggestion from Wiggo that I need two identical memory cards...

Thanks for the replies.

Wally

wallyp I'm the one who keeps deletin' that other thread that ya keep postin' though I thought that ya'd realise the reason behind it but two threads are not good and it's much better to keep all replies in one thread as most ppl here travel all the forums and will reply. : peace2:

Thread Information