Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Life without AMD

Microprocessor wars over: AMD has lost, claim
    Let's certainly hope not

An article in Business Week more or less writes off AMD apart from having a viable business in flash memory, and suggests that the microprocessor wars are over and done.
    There's a lot wrong with this analysis it suggests, for example, that AMD is lagging behind on the technology front because it's not ready to move to 90 nanometers or 12-inch wafers.

It's certainly important that AMD continues down that expensive track with the aid of its partner IBM but there's no indication that the Chimpzilla isn't doing just that.

In fact, says Olga Kharif in Business Week, quoting an analyst or two, the microprocessor wars are over.

Let's imagine what will happen if her prediction turns out to be true.

We will be left with a monopolistic Intel which won't have to keep improving its technology, and which will be able once more to dictate its own terms to an industry it supplies, at a price it decides.

Because it won't need to vigorously compete, it won't have to spend as much on developing new technology as fast as it needs to now.

Further, it also won't need to explain anything to anyone apart from its shareholders, with press activity much restricted, just like it was 12-15 years ago.

And after it's cleaned up the little mess AMD was making at its party, it won't be hard for it to dispose of other nuisances, such as Via and Transmeta.

Motherboard makers will find themselves mere instruments of Intel's decisions, and if the chip giant moves into that market more strongly than it's currently doing, they may cease to exist too.

Distributors, resellers and customers will be faced with taking what Intel gives them, with few checks and balances on the behemoth's activities.

So, the industry needs AMD big time, but that's not to say that it doesn't face very formidable challenges.

First there's its debt mountain with all the concomitant problems that brings. Because its marketing budget is so slender, and shrinking, it can't hope to compete above the line or in soft dollars with Intel's might.

Further, we don't think Hector Ruiz, AMD's CEO, can possibly be as passionate about the business as Jerry Sanders III, who has for reasons best known to him attempted to aggressively compete with Intel since the time he started the firm.

New technology also requires heaps of money too, so the lack of cash is a serious problem for the Intel contender.

None of this is to say that AMD is the good guy, while Intel is the evil genius of the duo. It's just that the industry and consumers would suffer if AMD dropped off its mortal coil and left one player in place.

Whether it's a good guy, a bad guy, or just a company making and selling microprocessors, we need AMD to stay.

The Inquirer

That has some very valid points, though I honestly dont see AMD being gone from the microprocessor market anytime soon. But like that says, if AMD does ever go, we're screwed.

AMD signs big CPU deal with Digital China
    Firm will open build-your-own shops, distribute chips

Chip firm AMD has secured a deal with Digital China holdings to distribute its processor-in-a-box products throughout the whole of the country.
    As well as selling the package which includes CPU, cooler, three year guarantee and documentation, Digital China will also offer after support on the products.

According to the China Daily, the Hong Kong based Digital China will act to integrate all AMD's channels in the country, and will also start 500 shops aimed at the enthusiast market.

It will also train 1000 engineers to offer support service to people who buy AMD products.

The newspaper estimates that the enthusiast, build your own, market is growing by over 16% a year, while sales of microprocessors in China amounted to $3.5 billion last year.

The Inquirer

if AMD claims a big chuck of the China CPU marketshare, I don't think we will have to worry about AMD's future at all :laugh:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I wouldn't mind a dollar for each time a similar story based on the same line about AMD has been published over the last 4-5yrs (I'd be fairly well off now).

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    I wouldn't mind a dollar for each time a similar story based on the same line about AMD has been published over the last 4-5yrs (I'd be fairly well off now).
    You aint the only one ;)

I hope this is bs cuz we need to keep them prizes down.

But as some use to say the winner takes it all and AMD needs to shape up.. :2cents:

Intel is cheaper than ever and takes more and more of AMD's so faithful customers cuz of the current performance vs $$$ leadership..

The company says its of sales of flash memory and computer chips are looking good for the final quarter. Q4 is usually a good period for the upstart chip maker, but this year could be better than usual - the company could even show a few cents profit over the quarter.
    >>>
    "The worst is behind us," he said. "It's clear things are coming back. There could be a mini bubble due to pent-up demand in 2003."
    (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12549)
    looks like AMD will be doing just fine
    :cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

minibubba: I'm not trying to suggest that the company is about to go bust, I just want people to take a moment to consider life without AMD. There's a lot of positive news coming from the company at present, China, Poland, its flash memory business, a new fab and the possibility of a profitable quarter, its first since 2001. But doing fine, not by a long shot (see below).

AMD has posted quarterly losses since Q3 2001

Q3 2001: -$98m
    Q4 2001: -$16m
    Q1 2002: -$16m
    Q2 2002: -$185m
    Q3 2002: -$254m
    Q4 2002: -$855m
    Q1 2003: -$146m
    Q2 2003: -$140m
    Q3 2003: -$31m

Thread Information