Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How much Thermal paste?

I was wondering just how much thermal paste you need on a CPU. The one I took off the mobo had a lot of silver compound smeared across the whole top.
    I have seen some with just the center raised portion covered.
    Could the silver short out the little raised thingies on the top of the chip?
    Is this a dumb question? :rolleyes:

go see this site Artic Silver Follow these instructions carefully... for your own good! ;)
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-
    AMD 1800+ @ 1880Mhz on A7S333 , 250 Meg DDR 333 Platinum @2-2-2-6
    Asus TNT 2 32 meg (128) , 250W ATX, 200W AT (same case)
    Steel automotive intake fan (see avatar) , 3X40mm exaust fans in the back

Thanks syx!!

Thats a great page.. Though I don't think the thermal paste I have is Artic Silver. It's silver colored and says it is 10% silver but there is no brand name on the tube. A made in China knock off maybe? I just hope it will do the job.

Again thanks!
    :cheers:

Arctic Silver 3 is like 99% silver i think...

it should be applied only on the CPU core: "the central raised bit", paper thickness.

:thumb:
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

When I removed my cpu it had a load of old compound on the chip as well heh, but I wouldn't worry about shorting out the chip I have never known that to happen.

But to answer your question yes you only need it on the square part in the middle and only a tiny bit which you then spread over so it covers the entire square as a thin even layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis
    When I removed my cpu it had a load of old compound on the chip as well heh, but I wouldn't worry about shorting out the chip I have never known that to happen.

But to answer your question yes you only need it on the square part in the middle and only a tiny bit which you then spread over so it covers the entire square as a thin even layer.
    Thermal Paste is conductive so having it accidently spilt between the bridges probably isnt the best idea. :confused:
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Thread Information