Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Athlon 64 FX or Ahtlon XP 3200?

Soon I am putting together my system, because I am about to myself if I try to put up with my current system any longer ...but I am a young guy with a really tight budget so i'm not exactly sure what to get...and I am not exactly 100% expert at knowing what processor is better than another.
    What I want to know..just how different IS the Athlon 64 FX to an Athlon XP 3200? How much of a leap is the 64 over the XP? If your as hardcore a gamer as it is possible in this day and age, have a really tight budget, but want the best system possible...what should I choose! I just don't know :shrug:
    I just want a good system so I can do lots of this!!! ---> :shoot3: :shoot2:
    So please all you experts out there, tell me what's the difference.

The Athlon 64 is 64 bits, over the 32 bit XP. However, right now, without a 64 Bit OS and 64 bit Apps, you wont notice too much of a difference over the 2 @ the same clock speed. I do believe it will benifit games somewhat however. There was something I heard that the FX only uses registered ECC Memory, which is very expensive, and also has much higher latencies (If your going to OC, you will care about these, else dont worry), where as the XP uses conventional non-ECC memory, cheap, with lower latencies. Not 100% sure, but I am sure that if Im wrong, someone will correct me.

I would suggest that you go to a local computer store with your budget in mind, and ask them to price out a machine using both processors. If you are a hardcore gamer, I would probably say that right now you could take the few 100 bucks youll save with the XP and stick em on a top of the line video card such at the Radeon 9800XT or GeFroce FX 5950.:thumb:

Excuse me for not knowing what it is...but what does "OC" mean?

OC = OverClock

Means to push the clock speed of a certain component above what the factory rated it as. So if you have a P4 3.2GHz, the fastest CPU, Hz wise, you can actually push it to say 3.6GHz by OverClocking it. It comes with stability loses and fryied chips, so dont attempt it without a large amount of research.

well here is somthing for U to look @ http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...lon_64-31.html

well......the athlon 64 is much better than the xp cause....its 64bit even though there still no os/apps for it.(as in windows), but still much faster than 32bit 3200 cause there's no northbridge on 64bit, and besides the fsb you get hyperlink which goes faster(i think). but yes it is a LOT expensive cause of the ECC ram you gotta buy.
    My rig:
    amd athlon xp 2500+ barton core @2.16GHZ (180mhz 12x)
    cooler master x-dream(with cooler master high performance thermal compound)
    mobo: asus a7n8x deluxe
    512mb of ddr pc-3200
    radeon 9500 pro
    pctv tuner card
    antec 5.1 speakers
    antec case with 5 80mm fans
    430 watts psu
    15" monitor @ 1024*768 32bit 70hz
    48x cd-rom, 52x24x52x cdrw
    2x 160gbs 7200 rpm 8mb buffer maxtor hdd
    win xp pro with sp1a
    all drivers updated

"They say that when you run a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic voices... But that's nothing - When you run it forwards it installs Windows"

Wait till next year if ya want to build an Athlon FX as a new core will be out that has support for non-ECC memory and new mobo's to support it. If ya build one now ya only upgrade course will be with Opteron processors.

Thread Information