Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Why are AMD CPU's so expensive compared to Intel?

For example An Athon XP 3200 CPU which has a speed of 2.2 GHz is around $330(US) versus its Intel counterpart P4 2.2 GHZ CPU at only $130(US). AMD always use to be cheaper, whats the deal here? I'd like to build an AMD system but I'm force to go with Intel for the price versus speed factor:rolleyes: .

Well even if there is a difference mhz to mhz in performance between those two chips it has become mutch less since intel upped their fsb to 200.

The P4"C" will outperform any XP processor there is. Not to mention they are the most 'out of the box' overclocking friendly chip I've ever seen. If buying Amd then don't get that expensive one get a cheaper barton like the 2500+ or an regular T-bred like mine for under $100 and oc it to 3200+ speeds.
    Those chips however tend to be outperformed by the new P4's.

IMO the best bang for buck atm seems to be a 2.4C running on a I865 or I875 chipset motherboard. :2cents:

umm, an Athlon XP 3200+ is much much faster than any P4 2.2 Ghz. Just because chips have the same clock speed doesnt mean they're comparable. An XP 3200+ is more comparable to a P4 2.8 -3.2 depending on the individual test. However, I would agree with the__tweaker that a p4 2.4C with an 865/875 board is the best bang for the buck right now, since they can easily be OC'ed to 3 Ghz or higher.

An Athlon 3200+ performs comparably to a 3.06 533FSB P4, i think. But I'd go as been suggested and get a Barton 2500+ OR, the bast bang for your buck, the 2.4c with an i865 or i875 mobo, Im running a 2.4c on an Abit IC7-G Max II Advance (i875) and i love it, and it wasnt hard on the wallet

Thread Information