Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Core Verison on 2200 XP

Hey guys,

I am getting a new motherboard put in, and according to the ASUS website, there are two different cores for the 2200 XP. One is the Thoroughbred core that doesn't require a BIOS update in order to work. The other is a Thorton core which does require a BIOS update in order to work.

Is there any way to tell besides turning on the computer (which I can't do right now, a few people on here know why)?
    http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/foldi..._original&.jpg

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those that know binary numbers and those that don't

Ok the Thorton core is basically a Barton core but testing has shown that part of the L2 cache has defects so half of it is disabled but ya could try this Athlon Identifier and see what ya come up with.

Thorton core? that's a new one for me...

but considering a barton is just a t-bred with 2x cache, wouldn't a barton with 1/2 the cache still be a t-bred? :confused:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I had never heard of a Thorton core until today too.

I remember reading somewhere that I had a Thoroughbred B core, but I just wanted to double check before the new board goes in.
    http://www.statgfx.com/statgfx/foldi..._original&.jpg

There are 10 kinds of people in the world...those that know binary numbers and those that don't

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    Thorton core? that's a new one for me...

but considering a barton is just a t-bred with 2x cache, wouldn't a barton with 1/2 the cache still be a t-bred? :confused:
    No as a t'bred was specifically made with only 256KB of L2 cache. The Thorton core is just AMD's way of gettin' more money from the Barton process so they still have all 512KB L2 cache in their cores but with half disable and only a 133MHz FSB (the same principal as Intel goes thru with their cores that don't meet the Pentium name bein' turned into Celerons) plus I only know of the Thorton core bein' available in XP2000+ to XP2400+ speeds.

Thread Information