Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64-bit WinXP available NOW for FREE!

HardOCP.com had this posted. Figured you people in this forum would love this.
    (hope it's ok to post it here)

Link to OS Download:
    Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-bit Extended Systems Customer Preview Program

HardOCP's post:

WindowsXP 64-bit Download:
    If you have a 64-bit ready PC, you now have the option to receive trial software for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems via CD or download. Read below about the different options for obtaining the pre-release software, and then use the links on the right to register to order the CD Kit or download product files. Please note that in either case, the pre-release software is time-limited and will expire in 360 day

-Note-
    This info was brought to you by a guy using for 4 year old Mac laptop... I know the true meaning of owned.

Soma yus peeps butu DL dis MoFo an bench it please... pretty, pretty please
    If the stuff in glow sticks is truly toxic then why do they make so many flavors?

I've already seen a couple quick benchmarks on this.....and i'll just say, the improvements were MUCH, MUCH more than the anticipated 10-20% :eek: :eek:

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

REALLY?

Post the benchmarks ! If I find any I'll brb !
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Well, the only substantial discussion I found was on slashdot, and while this guy doesn't sound like much of a benchmark'er, he does provide some decent info....
    It depends on what you're doing. I recently gave myself a 1.8 GHz Opteron system for Christmas and have been running some performance tests comparing 32 and 64 bit versions of the same applications.

Using LAME compiled from source with the default compiler options and "--alt-preset standard" encoding settings, it took 4m20s to encode an 11 minute MP3 with the 32 bit version and 2m51s to encode using the 64 bit version - about 30% faster. However, comparing some of the filters in a 64 bit GIMP 1.3.23 compiled from source with default settings to the GIMP 1.3.23 from the Debian distribution was quite different - running the "Diffraction Patterns" filter with default options on a 512x512 image took 11 seconds with the 32 bit version and 16 seconds with the 64 bit version - about 50% slower!

Of the other tests I ran, MP3 decoding with mpg123, bzip2 compression and AES encryption with OpenSSL were faster in 64 bit mode, and 3DES encryption with OpenSSL was faster in 32 bit mode. Of course, one of the advantages of having a hybrid 32/64 bit processor is that you can run whichever version is faster for a given task, onlike on the Itanium which until recently had only software emulation for 32 bit code.

I have also heard that 64 bit Windows on Opteron is slower at running 32 bit code than 32 bit Windows on Opteron, which has made me want to rerun my 32 bit tests under a 32 bit kernel. I also want to run the same tests on a Mac G5 and a Pentium 4 for comparison. Some other time...
    http://slashdot.org/articles/04/02/0...id=190&tid=201

So as far as I can tell, it appears that things optimized for 64 bit, certainly benefit, other things however, are a toss up to wether or not they are better.

This is a tubulent time though, and this is almost certainly in a Beta stage, so alot of things can happen....

==========================

And in other News, Intel announces:
    Now Intel just changed their 64-bit plans, and all of a sudden this appears.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5150...?tag=nefd_lede
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

G13man is offline Junior Member

ANAND tech.com
    k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
    recycled from the trash [and in use]
    2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
    3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
    in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

Direct link to Anand's 64bit review:
    http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1961

excerpt:
    Gaming is the one area in the preview that is a disappointment. As you can see, the standard benchmark games under XP64 Preview were 4% to 51% slower than 32-bit, with the average speed about 20% slower. It is far too early to reach any conclusions in this area, but there is a lot of driver optimization to be done to make up this kind of delta. With the CPU and memory providing faster 64-bit performance, we have to believe the drivers play a big part in this disappointing gaming performance.
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

G13man is offline Junior Member

they better optimize, my parts are ordered
    k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
    recycled from the trash [and in use]
    2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
    3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
    in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

They will... Remember the Graphics Card Drivers aren't even 64 Bit optimized yet...

Great news though at that URL... 16% improvement on Video Encoding! Wow.... I can't wait for Fully optimized XP and all optimized hardware...

I can't say how impressed I am with AMD... Wow.... :thumb: :thumb:

What's the release date slated at now. I know they've changed it a few times.

release date for what?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information