Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P4 Processor & ATX case question...

I have a coolermaster black widow ATX case & i've just been reading about case requirements for the P4 processor.

I was just wondering (silly question...) is the case that i've got compatible (does it have the extra 4 screw holes?) with the 423pin p4? Here's what the site states:

"In order to support the gargantuan heatsink and fan needed for the 423-pin Pentium 4, four additional holes are needed in the chassis for the mounting standoffs. These four standoffs support the motherboard under each corner of the CPU socket. A few motherboard manufacturers include a metal plate that is the size of the socket 423 motherboard. The metal plate acts as an adapter, allowing you to bolt the plate to the traditional ATX standoff locations, and then bolt the motherboard to the metal plate. However, many recently manufactured cases include these four standoff holes in the chassis. You will need to investigate whether or not a chassis you are considering has this feature."

Newbie question i know... just havin' a panic moment! :rolleyes2

(first time @ building own rig)

current components:
    coolermaster black widow ATX case

plans to puchase:
    Thermaltake Butterfly Purepower 480W ATX PSU (Black)
    ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe Intel 875P Canterwood Mobo
    P4 2.8ghz 800FSB HT

A link to ya case itself would help a bit

sorry bout that!

the coolermaster site no longer has the black widow atx case in it's list of cases for some reason...

best thing i could find was this:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...hpc3Rvcnk9LTI=

hopefully that'll help you!

current components:

plans to puchase:
    P4 2.8ghz 800FSB HT

Quote Originally Posted by tech.itch
    I have a coolermaster black widow ATX case & i've just been reading about case requirements for the P4 processor.

I was just wondering (silly question...) is the case that i've got compatible (does it have the extra 4 screw holes?) with the 423pin p4? Here's what the site states:

"In order to support the gargantuan heatsink and fan needed for the 423-pin Pentium 4, four additional holes are needed in the chassis for the mounting standoffs. These four standoffs support the motherboard under each corner of the CPU socket. A few motherboard manufacturers include a metal plate that is the size of the socket 423 motherboard. The metal plate acts as an adapter, allowing you to bolt the plate to the traditional ATX standoff locations, and then bolt the motherboard to the metal plate. However, many recently manufactured cases include these four standoff holes in the chassis. You will need to investigate whether or not a chassis you are considering has this feature."

Newbie question i know... just havin' a panic moment! :rolleyes2
    Those requirements for the ATX case were dropped b4 the Socket423 was retired as mobo manufacturers reinforced the socket area of the mobo around the CPU with the HSF mounting bracket instead of relyin' on the case's motherboard backplane mainly because there were very few cases at that time that supported that spec and the mobo manufacturers thought that they would loose out on sales if they didn't take action themselves.

cheers for the reply wiggi!

v. pleased it'll be fine!

thanks!

current components:

plans to puchase:
    P4 2.8ghz 800FSB HT

Thread Information