Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help building a system

I havent build my own computer for about 3 years so i'm a little behind in whats new lately..

I'm thinking about getting ether Athlon XP 2800 333 and i'm looking for Asus mobo. Can u guys recomend me which model I should get? Also what kind of HS is good these days? I want something that is extremely quiet and I wont be OC the chip. Thanks for any help.

oh what is this nforce2 I keep reading about? an onboard vid card? I already have the radeon 9800 pro.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggie216
    I havent build my own computer for about 3 years so i'm a little behind in whats new lately..

I'm thinking about getting ether Athlon XP 2800 333 and i'm looking for Asus mobo. Can u guys recomend me which model I should get? Also what kind of HS is good these days? I want something that is extremely quiet and I wont be OC the chip. Thanks for any help.

oh what is this nforce2 I keep reading about? an onboard vid card? I already have the radeon 9800 pro.
    The new thing these days is Athlon64's, but im not really up with them so ill explain the XP perspective.

the Athlon 2800+ is fine, great chip. Also i have an A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 and it is an excellent motherboard. It has alot of oboard features; 5.1 Sound, 2x 100mbit Ethernet, 6x USB, firewire etc. others made by Abit/Epox/MSI are also pretty good.

if you arent into overclocking and dont live in a hot area, the stock HSF that comes with the 2800+ should be fine. The Thermaltake Silent Boost is very quiet and effective (only 21db.)

the nforce2 is the chipset on the motherboard. newer motherboards use the nforce2 400 ultra chipset, a souped up version of the original.

the 9800 pro is a excellent card :) hope this helped.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

does the A7N8X require to use two ram slot or can I just use one?

a feature called Dual Channel uses 2 identical memory sticks to operate, giving you a small increase in performance (3-5%). You can use a single stick (eg: 1x 512mb) but i would recommend getting 2x 256mb to utilise this feature.
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

ok this i what I just bought..

Athlon 2800+ 333
    A7N8X-X
    Thermaltake Silent Boost
    KINGSTON 256MB PC3200 CL3 (X2)

Athlon 2800+ 333
    A7N8X-X
    Thermaltake Silent Boost
    Ya should've got CAS2 memory as that would've sped things along better.

ooo i must say the silent boost is amazing, i have it on 2 puters, one with a 1700XP and it only goes to 37oC with one outtake in the system, )the PSU, and I have one on my OC'd 2500 at 3200 and never goes ubove 44oC, al got AC5 on them. I have to say the heatsink is very good indeed. :thumb: and if your thinkin of OC'n alot put a faster fan on it thats all.

Man always go for CL2, it makes a huge difference in games. It is sometimes a little more pricey but its worth it if you play games alot, which expect you do with the 9800pro. cos if you don't paly games your wasting ur money unless u just like to OC for fun.

I think personaly if you wanted to go cheaper, you should have bought the 2500XP barton, then set your FSB to 400, and vwala a 3200XP, because the 2500 has the same multiplyer as the 3200 set the FSB to 400 and bobs ur uncle also about 60/$100 ish cheaper than the 2800

not much I can say about the A7N8X rev 2.0 del, its amazing, if you want flash and good looks tho u should hav bought the DFI lan party nforce 2 ultra, very good mobo with extra SATA ports 4 not 2 like the Asus, I think thats the only major difference.

wonce you put everything in your case try and get equal amount of air thruput, i.e. one fan at the front or two, but make sure the output fans extract the same amount of air as the input, and remember you have a fan on your PSU aswell people forget about that.

Athlon 2800+ 333
    A7N8X-X
    Thermaltake Silent Boost
    1 small thingy...no dual chanel on that mobo
    Tomorrow today will be yesterday.

http://members.chello.nl/~m.mulder1/Neokicking.gif

nuts.. I already ordered the ram before I saw these post... great.. what am I going to do with these now. how much difference in lost will I be expecting from the CL3.

A7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0
    Thoric specifically mentioned the complete model# and revision to be specific. Then you asked about another similar model. And ended up with a 3rd different model. Anyway, you just got it and I am assuming all from the same place. I would get them to exchange the mobo and/or ram for an a7n8x or an a7n8x deluxe and cas2 ram and pay the difference. Or the other option, exchange the 2 ram sticks for one cas2 512mb and probably get a store credit for the difference. I would do the first option.
    Simply explain to them that dual channel ram is what you wanted in the first place. The sales staff should have recognized the obvious, why would they sell paired memory to be used in a non dual channel board?
    asus mobo's

edit...oops, didn't notice online purchace* It is quite possable (most likely)they have not shipped it or even packed it yet. Get ahold of them right away and let them know you would like to modify your order.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w