Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pentium 4 @ 3Ghz

Quote Originally Posted by Acid
    Tweak: Wait till the tbred hits us, looking forward to the same overclocks as what we've been getting with the northwood.
    If that is the case, it would be a welcomed change to the Athlon.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

The Thoroughbred and the Northwood will be interesting to see how the 0.13 micron chips really do stack up against each other - despite the Northwood having a lower IPC (Instruction per Clock) ratio it is also more scalable than the Thoroughbred - so I just can't wait to see the benchmarks *rubs hands*

Being a Hardcore AMD fan that I was and still am, I believe that AMD has come to the end of its line with the K7 core.

While being able to gain a better name for themselves during the Pentium 3/Athlon war, compared to the Pentium 4's future expanse the Athlon XP 0.18 and 0.13 cores are nothing really to get excited about.

No L2 cache increase, no FSB increases and with a max CPU bandwidth of 2.1GB/s its not able to take advantage of any new memory technologies that make their way up the ladder, after all, DDR-333 makes very little difference to AMD yet it makes a huge difference the P4.

As for its future, Intel seems to be more secure. AMD at the moment need to look at a possable change to the K7 core, more cache, 166FSB would see them gain on the P4 by quite a margin. P4 has already shown it can hit 3Ghz, where AMD has maxed out at 1.8Ghz on their existing core, and according to the meeting I had with AMD staff at ITcomdex 2002 we won't see Tbread till late Q2 it not Q3. THis is also the date that Intel release to retail 533FSB P4, SO AMD has a long way to go.
    Cameron Johnson
    Senior Hardware Reviewer
    TweakTown

there may be a problem with the cpu at 3ghz...while it posts and benchmarks at that speed etc. because of intel technologly you don't actually know if its running slower then that, because the p4, when it gets to hot, it automatically runs itself slower till the heat normalizes, but it still says its running at 3ghz...it could really just be 2.5 or whatever :p
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

well the 3Ghz results are faster than any 2.5Ghz results i have ever seen, if so its a very very very fast 2.5Ghz CPU
    Cameron Johnson
    Senior Hardware Reviewer
    TweakTown

Quote Originally Posted by Soverign
    well the 3Ghz results are faster than any 2.5Ghz results i have ever seen, if so its a very very very fast 2.5Ghz CPU
    i wasn't saying that it wasn't 3ghz..just saying it might not be. If it benches higher scores then when at 2.5ghz then it probly is 3ghz...*drool*

Been running it at 3Ghz from time of original post until now, no crashes or nothing, guess its a good core
    Cameron Johnson
    Senior Hardware Reviewer
    TweakTown

indeed....3ghz is a SWEET speed :lips::lips: :lips:

2.4Ghz is a nice CPU to run at 3Ghz but some of those 1.8A's and 1.6A's should do the same, they are the same core as this baby, just slower. And 2.0A and 2.2A came well before 1.6A :)
    :cheers:
    Cameron Johnson
    Senior Hardware Reviewer
    TweakTown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information