Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentium 4 @ 3Ghz

Hi all.

Well its been a long time since I have posted in the forums and well I thought I would get back Into the habbit, and with what I am going to show you I think alot of you Intel fans out there will like this.

I can't remember where I saw it myself but remember the Pentium 4 Northwood running 3GHz with super cooling?
    Well I have good news for you, you don't need super cooling to do it, I managed to get my new P4 CPU upto 3GHz with simple air cooling.

First image is simple enough. This shows the WCPUID program and the Windows XP System Properties page together to show what is happening.

Here we have Sandra CPU Benchmark results at 3GHz

This one, Sandra Multimedia Benchmark results at 3Ghz.

This shows the BIOS post screen. This sorta shows that we aren't just editing images to make it look as if we got 3GHz, we actually got 3GHz.

Finally the Cooler that got me to 3GHz, AVC's new Sunflower cooler, looks similar to Intel's new Stock Heatsink.

Well thats it, I hope this gives you hope that if you are thinking of getting a Northwood P4 that they really can do some maginficent clock speeds.
    Cameron Johnson
    Senior Hardware Reviewer
    TweakTown

Impressive stuff there mate!
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

yeah, ok, but how stable is it? sure ya got to windows desktop, but how long did it stay there?

what about games and video?

is it actually USEABLE at that speed, constantly, for months on-end? while running ftp.web and IRC servers? (as i am doing on my amd k6-2 500 system {which still has some sort of problem i need to figure out..} )

lets say the answer to all is a definite "YES, NO PROBLEMS"

what board are ya using, and what besides the three fans i see are you doing? is the case always open, or normaly closed? are there more than those 3 fans? thermal transfer goo?

DETAILS , MON!

gotta have them DETAILS!

i want one... :D

:afro:
    <a href="http://www.harddrivehell.com">http://www.geocities.com/ctnow_da_ru/images/logod.gif</a>

He was able to run benchmarks wasn't he? My Pentium 4 1.6A hits 2.4GHz and is stable - I'd like to see an Athlon do that! :D
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by ct_
    yeah, ok, but how stable is it? sure ya got to windows desktop, but how long did it stay there?

what about games and video?

is it actually USEABLE at that speed, constantly, for months on-end? while running ftp.web and IRC servers? (as i am doing on my amd k6-2 500 system {which still has some sort of problem i need to figure out..} )

lets say the answer to all is a definite "YES, NO PROBLEMS"

what board are ya using, and what besides the three fans i see are you doing? is the case always open, or normaly closed? are there more than those 3 fans? thermal transfer goo?

DETAILS , MON!

gotta have them DETAILS!

i want one... :D

Well I use 5 fans total

2 on the back which you can see, one at the front of the case one on the HDD rack and the one of the CPU cooler

The case is constantly closed so there it has to pull cool air from the 4 intake fans

The board used was an EPoX 4SDA+ motherboard based on the SiS 645 chipset. This chipset has proven to be the most overclockable out of the entire range, also that it supports DDR-333 does help.

I used AS3 between the CPU and heatsink. thats the extent of the cooling, CPU Core voltage was 1.85v and runs stable in all the benchmarks i run it in.

wow, so for roughly $700US i get a board, cpu and a 512mb stick of ram, and 3ghz!

sign me up for two!
    <a href="http://www.harddrivehell.com">http://www.geocities.com/ctnow_da_ru/images/logod.gif</a>

All i can say is I was AMD fan, but 3GHz out of a CPU is pretty damm fast. Untill AMD catch up i will be using P4 DDR

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    He was able to run benchmarks wasn't he? My Pentium 4 1.6A hits 2.4GHz and is stable - I'd like to see an Athlon do that! :D

But at that speed it probably still wont out performe an Athlon 1800+ :laugh:
    Quick!!.Pack your bags!!

The Elephants are coming!!

Soverign - What's the web address for AVC's Sunflower cooler?

I'd like to see what sort of 3DMark result you get at that speed with a Ti4600 installed sov.

Tweak: Wait till the tbred hits us, looking forward to the same overclocks as what we've been getting with the northwood.
    Asher Moses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information