Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 2.8 Ghz P4, prescott or fsb800?

Hi im new here and im currently building a new PC.

My questiion is which should i get - The prescott 2.8 or the regular 2.8.
    They both cost the same, so its really down to choosing by performance.

Which one is better?

Are you an Overclocker? The prescott runs a bit hotter, so if your looking to OC its likely you wont get as far with the prescott. If your just looking to play games and leave everything stock, I would say Prescott. If you wanna OC, northwood. That extra cache should give you a nice boost. Also in the future when developers start to utilize the new SSE3 instructions, there may be a slight advantage there.

Personally, I would say wait, or go with an Athlon64 system. If you really want a gaming rig, the A64 FX-53 is out (I think?) and effortlessly beats out anything Intel currently offers.

http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040318/index.html

. As with the earily P4s, the prescotts will improve and become much better then the northwood. Right now I find there to be little or no difference. Ofcourse I havent used the prescott, Im basing this all on benchmarks and reviews, which I recommend you checking out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040201/index.html

Im sure someone else will be able to give you more insight on this, but if you read over those 2 articles, you should get a good idea at what your looking at.

If you have the proper air cooling and you overclock then the prescott, since it can hit higher clocks and you get the benefit of the larger cache. The northwood would be good at stock if you dont overclock since it has shorter pipelines.

I'm not an overclocker and im just going to be using it for games. Is there any advantage of getting the prescott for just gaming or not? because if it only runs hotter, then there is no point

Quote Originally Posted by Dyck15
    If your just looking to play games and leave everything stock, I would say Prescott. If you wanna OC, northwood. That extra cache should give you a nice boost.
    <<< What he said.

However, if your budget is $900+ An Athlon 64 of some sort is the best way to go. You don't limit your upgrading capabilities as much, even if Intel will be better for a certain price range (a very small price range, I might add).

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyck15
    If your just looking to play games and leave everything stock, I would say Prescott. If you wanna OC, northwood. That extra cache should give you a nice boost.
    <<< What he said.

However, if your budget is $900+ An Athlon 64 of some sort is the best way to go. You don't limit your upgrading capabilities as much, even if Intel will be better for a certain price range (a very small price range, I might add).
    i should have mentioned this, but amd isnt an option since i already bought the motherboard

asus p4p800s

Thread Information