Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does AMD equal to or compare to Intel model numbers

For instance as example; if I have a P4 3.0 or P4 3.6 going from there, what does AMD say thier chips are equal to (if not better) to each intel CPU?

They don't say much. The companies themselves avoid comparing specific processors to other specific processors. In this specific case, you probably won't get much better than a 3.6 GHz P4 with Athlon XPs. Athlon 64s and 64 FXs can top pretty much any P4 in a price-for-power comparison.

Well I have an intel mother board & P4 processor now, I wrote Intel an email question & although I have the remainder of a 3 year warranty on both Intel said they were no longer supporting my model #'s and would not answer any questions regardless if it's still under warranty! So now I'm going to be an AMD customer. That's why I wanted comparison info.

As I said, they won't say much. If you're thinking on building a new system, definetely go with an Athlon 64 of some sort.

One way AMD does it is a AMD 3000xp is equal to a Intel 3.0 even when the AMD chip says a clock speed of 2.2ghz. AMD numbers like 3000+ 3200+ are numbers AMD use to compare to Intel.

No, those are just model numbers. They're not used to compare to Intel like that.

This is a model number. AMD identifies the AMD Athlon XP processor using model numbers, as opposed to megahertz. Model numbers are designed to communicate the relative application performance among the various AMD Athlon XP processors. As additional evidence that performance is not based on megahertz alone: the AMD Athlon XP processor 3200+ operates at a frequency of 2.2GHz yet can outperform an Intel PentiumŪ 4 processor operating at 3.0GHz with an 800 FSB and HyperThreading on a broad array of real-world applications for office productivity, digital media and 3-D gaming.

AMD does indeed identify its processors with model numbers. However, they are not used to compare to Intel at all. An Athlon XP 3200 cannot beat a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 in virtually any application. In fact, it can't beat some P4s at clock speeds under 3 GHz. Plain and simple, model numbers were never meant to correlate with clock speeds of Intel's processors.

Quote Originally Posted by zezel
    AMD Athlon XP processor 3200+ operates at a frequency of 2.2GHz yet can outperform an Intel PentiumŪ 4 processor operating at 3.0GHz with an 800 FSB and HyperThreading on a broad array of real-world applications for office productivity, digital media and 3-D gaming.
    Did you just make that up, or what? Really, a 3200 can't beat a P4 3 GHz.

http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20...4_3200-07.html

G13man is offline Junior Member

for gaming the amd stands up well but for video editing get an Intel,[or if you have money] always get good memory also..
    k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
    recycled from the trash [and in use]
    2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
    3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
    in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

Nope that is right off the AMD site. Under what does the 3200+ model mean?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...,00.html#24357

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information