Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How do i find out exactly what my L1 and l2 cache are?

sorry for the noobish question but i just bought a intel 2.8 hyper thread prescott processor. It seems to be working fine but when i try to run a diagnostic test on my processor i get a error message saying my l1 and l2 cache are incorrect. This is the link to exactly what processor i have

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=80657

Based on Intel NetBurstŪ microarchitecture and built with Intel's 0.13-micron technology and next generation 90nm technology, the Pentium 4 processor delivers significant performance gains for use in personal computing, business solutions and all your processing needs.

1-MB Level 2 Advanced Transfer Cache
    The 90 nm process-based Pentium 4 processor features 1-MB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache (ATC) compared to 512-KB on the 0.13 micron process-based Pentium 4 processor. The Level 2 ATC delivers a much higher data throughput channel between the Level 2 cache and the processor core. The Advanced Transfer Cache consists of a 256-bit (32-byte) interface that transfers data on each core clock. As a result, the Pentium 4 processor at 3.40 GHz can deliver a data transfer rate of 108 GB/s. This compares to a transfer rate of 16 GB/s on the Pentium III processor at 1 GHz. Features of the ATC include:

Non-Blocking, full speed, on-die level 2 cache
    8-way set associativity
    256-bit data bus to the level 2 cache
    Data clocked into and out of the cache every clock cycle
    Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSE3) Instructions
    With the introduction of SSE2, the Intel NetBurst microarchitecture extended the SIMD capabilities that MMX technology and SSE technology delivered by adding 144 instructions. The next generation 90 nm process-based Pentium 4 processor introduces the Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSE3), which includes 13 additional SIMD instructions over SSE2. The 13 new instructions in SSE3 are primarily designed to improve thread synchronization and specific application areas such as media and gaming.
    Features and Benefits Back to Top

Retail
    Intel Pentium 4 Processor
    2.8E GHz Clock Speed
    Core: Prescott
    800-MHz system bus
    Supports Hyper-Threading Technology
    Improves performance and system responsiveness in today's multitasking environments by enabling the processor to execute multiple instruction threads in parallel. (Hyper-Threading Technology requires a computer system with an IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 processor supporting HT Technology and a HT Technology enabled chipset, BIOS and operating system. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software you use.)
    1MB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache
    Enhances performance by providing fast access to heavily used data and instructions.
    16-KB L1 data cache
    mPGA-478 (Socket 478) form factor
    Featuring the Intel NetBurst microarchitecture
    Compatible with existing IntelŪ Architecture-based software
    Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (SSE3) includes 13 new Instructions designed to reduce the number of instructions needed to execute program tasks. The new instructions are added to improve specific application areas such as media and gaming.
    IntelŪ MMX media enhancement technology
    Based upon Intel's next generation 90 nm process technology
    Enables high frequency, low power and brings more rich features. The 90 nm process technology includes next generation transistor advantages, such as strained silicon lattice to deliver faster transistors and increase performance.
    How do i confirm if my chip is working right and the l1 and l2 are properly set? Is there any kind of benchmark program i can use to see what my l1 and l2 cache's are?

Thanks in advance.

3dmark03..what motherboard do you have..cause i think your motherboard doesn't support the prescott.

Well believe it or not i have a dell 4600 and i was able to get this processor for free and it seems to be working beautifully. Thats another thing, i have kingston ram PC3200 (400-MHz) a 9800 pro 128 and all im able to muster on that test is a 5900 score, where exactly does it report the l1 and l2 cache? I have the free verson not the paid one.

I would hope i could tweak this hardware so i could play americas army (that game is very damanding on computers). I was hoping i could go go over with someone about my comp 1 point at a time and help me get the most out of this rig. (without severe overclocking, i just don't want a fire )

Don't get me wrong, i could never get this comp to work, the only processor that works is this 1. I tried 4 others, diff voltages, diff bus speeds ect. Only this 1 does my pc run stable. I have not had 1 lockup it runs cool and so far no fires!.

I just had a new cooling unit put on my 9800 pro (i have a powercolor card, great card, crappy cooling). I talked to a dell tech and they said that this chip was compatible with my system. I run the 865 chipset and here is the link to dell tech specifications of this computer.

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems...0/sm/index.htm

Please i hope your a guru because i'm a noob when it comes to this and i want to make sure i'm getting every ounce out of this sweetheart!

Thank you AsianBatman

P.S yeah i just found what you said on the 3d mark, i looked in details

Man it says my l1 cache is 0 :(

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2.8 GHz
    Manufacturer Intel
    Family Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Internal Clock 2.8 GHz
    Internal Clock Maximum 2.8 GHz
    External Clock 0.0 Hz
    HyperThreadingTechnology Available - 2 Logical Processors
    Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, SSE, SSE2
    Version Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    Caches
    Level 1 0 B
    Level 2 1 MB

Quote Originally Posted by T_rex
    Level 1 0 B
    Level 2 1 MB

Sorry there is no edit feature, please can anyone tell me if i can fix this? If it is zero will my comp blow up or something?

I am not really sure about this issue..but i still think its your motherboard that doesn't support the cpu...go here for more help..since everyone else is there. beefy.nucleardays.com

Thank you so much AsianBatman

Thread Information