Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Are there signifigant differences between cache?

Imagine running the max processes on your computer. Powerful image/video editing applications, writing DVDs, encoding video, rendering 3D models. Now tell me would the differences in cache between these two processors be signifigant?

Dual Intel® Xeon Processors 3.06GHz 533MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache
    --
    Dual Intel® Xeon Processors 3.2GHz 533 MHz FSB w/ 2MB Cache

Would I see a considerable amount of better performance with the 2mb of cache instead of the 512kb? With all the work I do I could literally burn a comp to the ground so I need all the power I can get. But they're price staggeringly different, the 2mb of cache is over $1000 more in price. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It would be faster, but I'd say it's not worth the money. I'll look up some benchmarks and see if I can find a good comparison of the models with 512KB, 1MB, and 2MB cache.

Have you already purchased the parts or something? Getting dual Opterons instead of Xeons might be a good idea. I'll post some links, though.

Here we go:
    http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1982&p=6
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2003...pteron-17.html
    They don't do too much to answer the question, but help a bit. I would suggest not getting the 2MB cache versions. I really doubt it would be worth the extra money.

Edit: wasn't thinking before. Don't get Opterons if you do a lot of video encoding. They aren't slow, but Intel processors with their higher clock speeds tend to be much faster at video encoding. The Xeons should beat Opterons in that.

Probably wasting my time... I bet you already have the motherboard or something. :D

Thanks for the help! You weren't wasting your time, I haven't made the purchases yet but will very soon just looking into it all now. Looking at the benchmarks makes me cringe.. Opteron nearly kills the Xeon on all levels. I think that would be the way to go, I'm looking for overall performance definitely. Thanks for the info man!

Thread Information