Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Socket 939 Processors and Mobos out

(Copied from Wiggo's post at a certain other place which shall not be named)

<div>For those who have been waiting for the next generation socket-939 Athlon64's and AthlonFX's you need wait no longer as they have now been released and here's several reviews to get your blood pumping.

Ace's Hardware

AMD Zone

AnandTech

Beyond3D

Bit-Tech

Digit Life

Driver Heaven

ExtremeTech

FiringSquad

[H]ardOCP

Hot Hardware

Legit Reviews

PC Perspective

Sudhian

t-break

The Tech Report

Tom's Hardware

X-bit Labs</div>

The reviews at AnandTech and Tom's Hardware Guide were particularly in-depth. The THG article certainly dispells any thought of bias in favor of Intel at THG.

For people who have recently been recommended to wait for socket 939 motherboards and processors (probably by me, too :D ), they are out now. You should expect to see them in stores quite soon. If you can stand it, waiting for better motherboards wouldn't be a terrible idea. The reviews seem to indicate motherboard development was rushed for socket 939 and the motherboards aren't great performers. That said, they should knock the socks off any Intel, A64 socket 939, or A64 socket 754 setup of simlar price.

When the FX-55 comes out, it should be considered top-of-the-line for desktop processors. P4s are starting to lose to it in encoding, and it wipes the floor in gaming. See the AnandTech article.

But regular socket-939 A64s (not FXs) will be the way to go for most of you. One of the major reasons to get the FX is the unlocked multiplier. Other than that, it really doesn't warrant the cost increase to get one, unless you have over $2000 US. :2cents:

Umm, They say the FX-53 will run between $700-$800Us, not a whole 'nother $2,000.

Anyway, from what I've seen, the Socket 939 A64 3800+ is a much, much better CPU to buy when they come out anyway

My point was that the money spent on that processor would be better spent elsewhere unless you're spending quite a bit of money. It would be stupid if the processor itself cost $2000.

But I have to agree with you on the 3800.

Where are these mbs? I only read the HardOCP article earlier and they used a pre-production Asus board. Don't even see any pre-order offers on Pricewatch either.

It should take a while. Last time I checked, Newegg didn't even have the processors, much less the motherboards. It might take some time before online stores start getting this stuff.

cpu, mb, 512 ram = $1299us, a bargin at twice the price! This guy gets a retail board before Newegg, CDW, etc.?

lol, i didn't say it was a good deal. just mentioned that they are on ebay already. lol, but i see your point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information