Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 940 Fx-51

Default 940 Fx-51

Is it possible to insert a s.940 FX-51 into a s.939 mobo since the only difference bw the two seems to be one missing pin, which I assume is for ECC of the memory controller in the cpu. Thx for the replies already.
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

No, it's not. The placement of the pins is completely different and it won't even come close to fitting.

Unhappy

so people who have bought the expensive FX-51 have no choice but to upgrade to a new cpu-mobo-ram combination when they feel the need to. I think this is bad marketing for AMD.
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

Why? I'd say it's great marketing. Get the consumer to buy something that requires more money then normal to upgrade. ;)

Seriously though, AMD tried to get the word out pretty well. It's was all over most of the big tech sites quite a while before socket 939 came.

Besides, by the time you want to upgrade an Athlon 64 FX-51 (unless you like wasting money and watn to upgrade now; that's nearly top-of-the-line for desktop systems), you'd probably want a new motherboard anyway.

It was known well before the Athlon64 release that there was going to be 3 sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by ufuk21p
    so people who have bought the expensive FX-51 have no choice but to upgrade to a new cpu-mobo-ram combination when they feel the need to. I think this is bad marketing for AMD.
    Yes it was well known that the FX line would move to a different socket and those asking about them S940 FX's were told (in several forums that I frequent) that Opterons would be their only upgrade path.

BTW the missing pin is for SMP not ECC memory.

Thread Information