Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: which CPU?

Default which CPU?

ok i have a P4 3.0GHz no oc.

i have had no problems with my cpu i think it is incredibly fast but i was thinking which is better, bare in mind that i use my pc for mostly gaming.

a P4 3.0GHz or AMD 64 3200+

if there is a better CPU which is designed for high-performance gaming please tell me.
    what is the best CPU out at the moment n e ways?

Actually there is nothing wrong with what you have though Socket 939 Athlon64's are better gamers though the best would be the Athlon64 FX-53 (make sure that you get the socket 939 version and not the socket 940).

Default cheers

how much am i looking at if i get the fx-53 and the 939 mobo?
    wot speeds are the fx-53 cpus at?

iv looked at the prices and i also need registered ram.
    its alot of money but considering im working now (im only 16) i get great pay i culd get this stuff in a 2 weeks (office job at 16!)

but is it really worth it ?
    i mite just save my money and keep my cpu n mobo and ill just upgrade my ram and graphics card?

wot do u think i should do?

Quite frankly you need to get some common sence seeing as you've been asking so many questions of late about the same things (this one being an exception) but if you just went and got an ASUS P4P800 or P4C800 you'd have dual channel memory support so that P4C of your's can really breath.

Congratulations on the job. Keep the P4 and buy some dual channel memory. Don't buy any of those darn "video cards." All they do is defile studying. Save you're money for college sonny. You'll be much, much happier in the long run.

ps: seriously.. i'd get a 9800pro or cheap newgen card along with dual channel memory. The upgrade to athlon64 would not be worth the money (IMHO).. especially at your age (no offense).
    AMD Athlon XP-Mobile 2500+ @ 2.4Ghz
    OCZ Gladiator 3 heatsink w/ led fan
    EPoX 8KRA2+
    512 MB OCZ EL PC3200
    Yamaha CRW-F1 44X/24X/44X
    WD Caviar SE 80 GB w/ 8MB buffer
    " 120 GB "
    eVGA GeForce 6800 128MB
    NEC FE990 Multisync
    Logitech MX500 & keyboard
    Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers

like muzak? check this out \/
    http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~sharpjm/Concept.html

Upgrading to an Athlon 64 setup right now is probably a bit hasty. You'll see quite a bit of improvement, but not 600 to 1000 dollars U.S. worth (probably more in the U.K.). I should note, though, that you have no need for registered RAM. Only with socket 940 processors do you need registered RAM.

Just upgrade your video card and think about switching to a new motherboard with dual channel support (and of course get a couple identical sticks of RAM to go with it).

Default Curious...

How much of a performance gain can he expect going from a single to a dual channel setup? I know you guys said that the XP's only benefit about 4-5% and the P4's benefit more -- any idea how much?

I'd say 10-15%, maybe even more, I may try that out tonight for the hell of it :)

louinike: Keep what you have and get a new damn mobo and dual channel RAM.

Thread Information