Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Holy crap...

Angry Holy crap...

I am pretty angry right now. The PC i am on right now, just had the heatsink come off (yes come off) while it was running, with it, the processor. I showed my dad the pins (only 3 of them slightly bent, and 1 corner broken off) and he looked up the prescott at www.intel.com and it stated that the corner pin (adjacent to the corner arrow) was just a ground. So i got lucky... But does this compromise my system now? Should i buy a new processor? I am pretty upset at this time and baffled on how it could happen, the heatsink is pretty damn secure, and i made damn sure of that when i re-assembled the thing. I am trying my hardest not to scream right now, and i am hoping nothing bad came of this (i have the money to replace both the mobo and the cpu, but i don't want to spend it if i don't have to).
    -Michael Stanley

System: Intel Pentium4 3.0E; ASUS P4P800SE; 1Gb DDR-400(dual-channel) PC3200; ATi Radeon X800Pro 256mb; SBAudigy2 ZS; Dual Maxtor 60Gb on SATA Raid 0; 12Gb download HDD; CD-RW (56x32x56x); DVD-R; Thermaltake XaserIII case; Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 Dolby Digital Speakers.

Seeing as the rest of your system is top notch, I would personally buy a new processor (maybe something just a hair quicker ). It would be a shame to see all of that go to waste due to a faulty component. I don't know how important the ground is though so it may be something you can brush under the carpet. Did any of this damage your mobo? Sorry to here that... almost like hearing someones dog got hit by a car and is now missing a leg... or something like that. Ohwell, best of luck.
    AMD Athlon XP-Mobile 2500+ @ 2.4Ghz
    OCZ Gladiator 3 heatsink w/ led fan
    EPoX 8KRA2+
    512 MB OCZ EL PC3200
    Yamaha CRW-F1 44X/24X/44X
    WD Caviar SE 80 GB w/ 8MB buffer
    " 120 GB "
    eVGA GeForce 6800 128MB
    NEC FE990 Multisync
    Logitech MX500 & keyboard
    Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers

like muzak? check this out \/
    http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~sharpjm/Concept.html

My CPU is missing a pin and it works perfectly fine, the Intel CPU's have so many ground pins its not even funny.

So far everything is working perfectly. The Intel's have soo many grounds, but i were to have got the other corner, i would've been screwed. So im lucky there. Anyway, the Mobo and everything are fine, word of advise, get rid of that strip crap they originally put on the Heatsink, that's what fused my processor to the heatsink, nasty stuff.

But it's all better now!
    -Michael Stanley

System: Intel Pentium4 3.0E; ASUS P4P800SE; 1Gb DDR-400(dual-channel) PC3200; ATi Radeon X800Pro 256mb; SBAudigy2 ZS; Dual Maxtor 60Gb on SATA Raid 0; 12Gb download HDD; CD-RW (56x32x56x); DVD-R; Thermaltake XaserIII case; Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 5.1 Dolby Digital Speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck.exe
    get rid of that strip crap they originally put on the Heatsink, that's what fused my processor to the heatsink, nasty stuff.
    Are you talking about thermal tape? Anytime that stuff gets anywhere close to something I am working on, the razor and alcohol immediately come out.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Default Re: Holy crap...

Good idea, i am going to order me some Artic Silver II, unless there is a better deal?
    -Michael Stanley

Default Re: Holy crap...

ASII was discontinued long ago and AS3 a while ago as AS5 is the one to get now so if you can still buy either of the 1st two then they've likely been sitting on the shelf for some time.

Thread Information