Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: SATA PCI adapter

Default SATA PCI adapter

My MB (ABIT IS7-E) does not have sata support. I have added a PCI adapter for SATA (ALI M5283) with a WD800 80gig drive.

Running Win/XP Pro, drivers loaded from cd fine. When I re-boot, the adapter bios setup wants to set the new drive as bootable. I DO NOT want to boot from this drive. I don't want to setup raid either. I just want to use the new drive as storage for the time being.

Any idea how to change the adapter bios to non-bootable?
    On system boot, CTL-A gets to setup for raid. and shows the new drive as bootable. It will let me move the cursor to select ant of the possible 4 drives, but not let me turn it off.

Any Ideas??

Default Re: SATA PCI adapter

I'm not familiar with your PCI adapter but there should be some way to disable that feature. The manuafcturer's website should be able to provide some answers. Also, check your BIOS on the system itself and double check your boot sequence. This might help or not, but may be worth investigating at least.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Darth,

Thanks for the reply, sorry I took so long to get back. I have replaced the ALI card with the Promise Sata150 TX2. Easy install and i'm formatting now. This way I can just use the sata channels as additional storage for now. When I decide to go with raid, the ALI card will come in handy for the system volumes.

Thanks,
    Bob

That doesnt make sense. Why would you want to use the faster hd for storage. That defeats the purpose of having sata.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Quote Originally Posted by rhb8991
    My MB (ABIT IS7-E) does not have sata support. I have added a PCI adapter for SATA (ALI M5283) with a WD800 80gig drive.

Running Win/XP Pro, drivers loaded from cd fine. When I re-boot, the adapter bios setup wants to set the new drive as bootable. I DO NOT want to boot from this drive. I don't want to setup raid either. I just want to use the new drive as storage for the time being.

Any idea how to change the adapter bios to non-bootable?
    On system boot, CTL-A gets to setup for raid. and shows the new drive as bootable. It will let me move the cursor to select ant of the possible 4 drives, but not let me turn it off.

Any Ideas??
    I have the PCI adapter for SATA (ALI M5283) but have missed placed the drivers cd, any idea where I can download them, or maybe you could chuck your copy onto driverguide or filefront if thats alright, thanx.

IDF

why are you in the processors forum?

Thread Information