Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question about the heatsink

Default Newbie question about the heatsink

Now.. I have a volcano 9 laying around somewhere. But ever sense i fryed my kt333 and 2100 amd i got a factory fan with my new processor that is oh so much more quieter. Now i'm having a thirst for more power. Should i put my volcano 9 back on and up the mhz? And here is my question.. the little paper was never clear where to put the heatsink.. i always put it above the processor and under the fan. Does it go under the processor? And if i put it under will it be running at full speed? Because the vol9 makes way too much noise for me to deal with when it isrunning at med speed+

thanks in advance

Default Re: Newbie question about the heatsink

I must have missed something here. There is only one way to install a heatsink.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yah, duh, and if you don't know than you've got no business tinkering around inside a PC with the heatsink.

the wire that comes out of the fan to determen how hot the processor is? I was just asking if it goes above or below the processor. This it not what fryed my mother board and processor. I was just making a comment.

It goes below the core and within the socket itself, http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v9.htm
    The 2 wires are thin enough to wind between the CPU pins before you insert it in the socket.

You should have specified you meant the thermal probe. Looks like wayout44 has got you covered.

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    You should have specified you meant the thermal probe. Looks like wayout44 has got you covered.
    sorry my bad.

and wayout thanks a ton!
    Last edited by paleghost; 08-01-2004 at 06:57 PM.

n/p but its a shame that you didn't get the Volcano 7+ instead of the V9 as you could've had better cooling at a lower noise level.

ah well. it was a packaged deal with my xp 2100+. When i get paid, I think i'm going to invest alot in cooling.

wow. huge sound diffrence so far when it is on the bottom. It now sounds like a normal fan. And i also don't worry about stressing it now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information