Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel or AMD?

Default Intel or AMD?

Hey guy's quick question. I'm a freelance illustrater and use programs like Photoshop and illustrator. Planning on building a new computer. Just wondering for applications I work with what would work faster/more efficient an Intel or AMD setup of similar pricing between 150$usd -200$usd.

I'm rather new to modding so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks:D

P.S. Stupid question. Is the only differance between intel and AMD the cpu and motherboard, or do they use entirely differn't memory and harddrives?

Default Re: Intel or AMD?

You'll definitely want an AMD setup. What exactly do you need to purchase with that budget? It's not going to get you much even if you only need a processor and motherboard...

Intel and AMD make processors (although Intel makes other stuff, too). They each of multiple lines of processors for different sockets, or types of motherboard. Certain AMD processors work on certain AMD socket types, and certain Intel processors work on Certain Intel socket types.

I'll be getting more stuff later on just trying to get a decent start to a better system than I'm running now.

The $150-200 would just be for the processor. Once I figure out which way to go I'll be able to figure out what else I'll buy.

Also if I went the amd way eould my exidting ram work with an amd system, it's 512x2 pc2700 cl2.5 184 ?

You existing RAM will work, but with the CPU you'd be looking at with that budget it'll hold it back.

For $150-$200 you should be getting an Athlon 64 3000. It retails around $175 and should do exactly what you need it to quite well.

I was actually looking at getting someting silmilar, do you think the amd would be a much better cpu than this <a href ="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-174&depa=1">p4</a>
    ?

Any recomendations on motherboards?

Thank you so much for helping me with my questions.
    Last edited by Chi'mera; 08-04-2004 at 03:58 PM.

Or even this one here

<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Last edited by Chi'mera; 08-04-2004 at 04:32 PM.

Those are OEMs and the one I found was Retail. An OEM Athlon 64 3200 would be in your budget. The important difference between OEM and Retail CPUs is that Retail CPUs come with heat sink/fan units, while OEMs do not.

But to answer your question, yes, it would be better than a 2.8E or 2.8C. If you did video encoding instead of image editting, it might be a different story.

For a motherboard, the MSI K8T NEO-FSR would be a great choice.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 08-04-2004 at 04:54 PM.

So getting retail would make a better choice.

How much of a differance could I see with a setup like this one

amd 64 3200 here
    Abit "kv8pro" here
    or the mb you suggested
    9600 pro video card
    2x512 pc2700 ram "will be upgraded eventually"
    60gb wd hdd
    40gb wd hdd

Compared to my current system
    Dell 4550
    2.0 845 pe
    2x512 pc2700 ram
    9600 pro video card
    60 gig wd hd
    40 gig wd hd
    Last edited by Chi'mera; 08-04-2004 at 04:44 PM.

It will make a large difference initially, but a huge difference once you replace the RAM.

When you replace the RAM, this would be quite good, although this would be, too.

BTW, that's an OEM CPU you've linked to. If you ask me, it's worth going a few bucks over the budget to get the 3200.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 08-04-2004 at 05:32 PM.

Yea I saw that after I posted. I looked at this one right afterwards. amd 64 3200.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information