Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building my first 64bit System, questions, please help!

Default Re: Building my first 64bit System, questions, please help!

I agree with most of that, but will offer a different opinion where water cooling is concerned. For anyone who is sick and tired of the loud noise associated with quality air cooling, water is a viable option. There are several kits out there that offer a safe and reliable water cooling setup for your computing pleasure... BUT...

That Kingwin water rig isn't one of them. Any of the smaller setups like that simply cannot handle the stresses of a performance processor. Even though you're coming in at the basement of the s939 architecture, you're talking about a performance rig. With almost no overall water capacity and a pitifully underpowered submersible pump, you'll be lucky to achieve temperatures on par with a stock cooler.

While stock coolers tend to be a good deal quieter than aftermarket ones, it will still be louder than a good water cooling rig. If you can afford a bit more for water, look into some of the kits available at either Danger Den or Swiftech as these kits are full-blown water cooling solutions and not some little magic box that will offer poor results.

If you cannot afford a good water cooling setup, then take that $100 you set aside for cooling and pick up a good Thermalright heatsink that allows you to use a larger 92 or 120mm fan. These fans spin at lower speeds and still create good airflow at a lower noise output.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thanks for all the help again.

Yeah your right on water-cooling i guess ill just get a good HSF. DO you think the geforce 6800 ultra is better then x800 Pro? Especially if linked with the nforce 3 ultra chipset?

Im going with the 3500+ since thats all I can afford, now all i gotta do is choose the fx card, so lemme know what u think!

The benchmarks from before the release of the cards showed an overall victory for the X800s. However, Doom 3 benchmarks from multiple sites along with general benchmarks indicate an overall victory for 6800s. Overall, a 6800 is likely to have around the same performance as an X800 Pro, but a 6800GT or 6800U will beat an X800 Pro and even the X800XT PE in many cases. The next two releases of Catalysts may change things, but currently the 6800s are better than the X800s.

I've heard the 6800's perform well in an Nvidia powered environment (eg Doom III) yet drop off significantly outside this. Now, Correct me if I'm wrong (for my sake).
    Also, they have a dual rail power supply, that (if your worried about over heating and HSF's etc) will significantly increase the heat output of the card, raising case temp, and thus, cpu temp. Again, plz correct me if I'm wrong.

Lastly, I haven't seen an Nforce 3 board that supports 64bit 939 AMD's. This is probably my sites. Can ya post a link for me?
    ~AlthonXP T-Bred 2,600 @ 2305mhz~
    ~Epox 8RDA+~
    ~Hercules Radeon 9800XT 256mb~
    ~512 Corsair P3200 @ 6,2,2,2.0~
    ~WD1200JB HDD~
    ~Antec 1080 Plus~

It does depend on the game, but 6800s are still a little better overall, even outside Doom 3. The only ones with the rediculous power requirements are the Ultra and Ultra Extreme.

Look around Newegg.com for socket 939 nForce 3 boards. There should be plenty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information