Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Athlon 64 VS. P4 w/HT Extreme Edition

Default Athlon 64 VS. P4 w/HT Extreme Edition

I'm building a new computer right now, my old computer just couldn't handle Doom 3 and that means that this old laptop can't cut it anymore. I've finally decided to make the change over to a Desktop... although I can't believe I'm saying that, the higher end graphics cards, sound cards, etc, is just a more lucrative measure now.

The big debate I'm having is whether the AMD 64 Athlon processors are really worth it at this point in time. Although I have heard that a 64-Bit version of Windows is coming out soon, and a 64-Bit XP version, there really isn't much cause for the AMD 64 Bit processors.

I can get a P4 w/HT Extreme Edition for a much better price, with PCI-E Express rather then just a AGP-8X on the 64 Athlon... one of the things that I'm trying to debate.

So, is the 64-Bit processor really worth opting for, or would it be better to wait a few months and see exactly what Intel does with their answer and the 64-Bit processor they have.

Default Re: Athlon 64 VS. P4 w/HT Extreme Edition

Whether M$ gets their XP-64 out by early next year is irrelevant as you'll see by looking at the attached graph from this article (the A64 3000+ just falls short of the very expensive P4 3.4EE setup with PCI-E graphics, the 3400+ and higher A64's absolutely leave the Intel range behind).
    Attached Images Attached Images Athlon 64 VS. P4 w/HT Extreme Edition-3453-png 

Default Re: Athlon 64 VS. P4 w/HT Extreme Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver62160
    The big debate I'm having is whether the AMD 64 Athlon processors are really worth it at this point in time. Although I have heard that a 64-Bit version of Windows is coming out soon, and a 64-Bit XP version, there really isn't much cause for the AMD 64 Bit processors.
    The fact that Athlon 64s are 64 bit actually has little to do with why they perform so well. An Athlon 64 has an on-die memory controller and isn't limited by a front side bus. The same applies with Semprons, which are 32-bit but still perform right where they sohuld for the price.

I can get a P4 w/HT Extreme Edition for a much better price, with PCI-E Express rather then just a AGP-8X on the 64 Athlon... one of the things that I'm trying to debate.
    Considering that you can get an Athlon 64 FX-53 for less than a P4 EE and Athlon 64 3500s (for under $400) will outperform them in all games (With 3000-3400 beating EEs in many games), getting a P4 EE is just a bad choice. As for PCI-E, it's essentially pointless right now, for gaming computers anyway. PCI-E has huge advantages in other areas, but it simply will not have any advantage n the graphics department for a year or two.

So, is the 64-Bit processor really worth opting for
    Yes.

Thread Information