Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Better choice for gaming rig between these two CPU?

Default Better choice for gaming rig between these two CPU?

Just curious as to which one would be better for a gaming rig. I have been out of the hardware loop for sometime now and these are my choices considering my price range.

AMDŽ Athlon-64 2800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology

IntelŽ Pentium-4 Processor 2.8 Ghz CPU [512K Cache, 800MHz FSB, Hyper Threading Ready]

Been about 3 years since i have built a comp (normally do every 3) so am trying to catch up on as much info as i can. Thx.
    Last edited by FartyMcCrabLice; 08-10-2004 at 01:14 PM.

Default Re: Better choice for gaming rig between these two CPU?

The Athlon 64 is going to be a much better choice for gaming. With the 3dNow technology it impliments alone, that greatly enhances the graphic quality of the machine. On top of that, the FSB of the AMD 64, overclocking, benchmarking, all overshadow the P4 significantly.

I'm building the ultimate gaming PC, it's in my sig, well, ultimate for myself that is. Check it out, that should tell you more then enough of what processor is going to play games like Doom 3, Quake 3, and Unreal Tournament the best.
    Contruction Begins:

Windows XP Pro, AMD 64 Athlon FX-53 w/Hyper Transport, ASUS A8V Deluxe- VIA 8T800 Pro Motherboard, 2 GB (4X512) OCZ Dual Latency PC4000 (DDR-500) RAM, ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Pro High Def 7.1 Surround, 74 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM Main Harddrive, 36.7 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM Secondary Drive, Sony 8X Double-Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Sony 12X DVD +/- RW Drive, Sony 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, 3Com Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, Adaptec USB 2.0/Fire Wire Dual Card, 650 Watt Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe Power Supply, Generic Floppy Drive, Generic 10-In-1 Media Reader w/Fire Wire

Cost: $3800

Next: Tower to fit it all, Cooling Systems, Fans, Pimpin' Out

The Athlon 64 2800 can go as far as to outperform a P4 3.4 EE. The 2.8C isn't even a comparison as the Athlon 64 will beat it in nearly every single gaming situation.

I posted this before but it'll work for this one as well as pictures can speak louder than words.

Thread Information