Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 939 pin... 64FX vs Athlon 64

Default 939 pin... 64FX vs Athlon 64

Ok Im looking to build a new system. I want a 64 and have the money. The new socket 939 has the both the 64s on the same socket. My question is what makes the FX's cpus better than the regular athlon 64s. From what I could tell the specs are almost the same.

Default Re: 939 pin... 64FX vs Athlon 64

The Athlon 64 3500 and 3800 both have 512KB of L2 cache while the FX-53 has 1MB. It makes a moderately large preformance difference in most situations.

Besides that, the A64 processors you mention use the Newcastle core while the FX53 uses the Clawhammer. From what I've been reading so far, the Clawhammer is the better of the two in terms of performance.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

That's likely because Clawhammer CPUs have 512KB more L2 cache... The Mobile Drillhammer cores are the only 512KB L2 cache hammers. But 1MB L2 cache does seem to make a huge performance difference in most situations, meaning on the socket 754 level the Clawhammer version of a processor should perform better than the Newcastle (Clwahammer = 512KB more L2 cache, Newcastle = 200MHz faster).

Also, the FXs are completely unlocked while the regular 64s are only unlocked for multiplier lower than the stock, although that doesn't matter that much.

Thread Information