Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sempron Worth it?

Default Re: Sempron Worth it?

I just retraced my steps...I was a little off on my claims. the Sempron 3100+ did better than most P4's under 3ghz, and the Extreme Edition P4s were better.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7

here is one of the final pages of the test, it shows the graphs of final performance tests. The article itself isn't too bad either, I certainly learned a few things.

That would be a socket 754 Sempron... The thread is more about Socket A Semprons. The socket 754 Sempron will perform extremely well for the price.

The s754 Sempron is a newted Athlon64 Newcastle core (half the L2 cache and the 64-bit registers have been disabled) but its a surprisingly quick CPU (especially when compared to its sA brethen).
    The Sempron 3100+ is a good starting point for the latest line of AMD technologies (if you can forget about sA Athlon XP's and Semprons then do so as sA products are now well into the start of AMD's phasing out stage) and later you may decide to upgrade to a s754 Athlon64 CPU.

Question:
    Can a sA Sempron be used in any sA motherboard? i.e. an MSI K7N2G without a bios update? If i did have to update the bios, would that have to be done with another chip?

Quote Originally Posted by JediAgent
    Question:
    Can a sA Sempron be used in any sA motherboard? i.e. an MSI K7N2G without a bios update? If i did have to update the bios, would that have to be done with another chip?
    Yes it will work though it will show up as being an Athlon XP Thoroughbred but there will be no need for another CPU to do a BIOS upgrade.

I have a Sempron 2400+ and I have to say I wasnt impressed at first. But I was able to overclock it easily. From 333Mhz FSB, I pushed it to 400Mhz fsb without any problem. I can go as far as 414Mhz FSB but its not very stable, it crashes after 30mins of intense gaming. I found 404Mhz fsb was rock solid stable. From a stock speed 1.66Ghz to 2.02Ghz is very impressive. It was a noticable improvement of ~25% in my Xvid compression time.
    My rig:
    sempron 2400+ @2.02Ghz 10X202
    MSI NF2Ultra Delta Deluxe
    256Mb DDR-400 PC3200
    Asus V9999GT 256Mb 6800GT
    200GB IDE Seagate HDD
    BenQ DVD-RW 16x DL

Sempron 3100 is an athlon 64 with removed 64bit capabilities and 256kb L2 cache, at 1.8ghz. I hear it overclocks well, and the integrated memory controller, newer chipsets, and Hypertransport give it an advantage over socket A Semprons.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information