Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 2300 = 2.3 ghz? can som eone explain pls?

Exclamation 2300 = 2.3 ghz? can som eone explain pls?

hello well my quesiton is easy i only want to know what the numbers athlon use mean. like they have a cpu that say 3200 but is like 2.2 gzh i dont get it? it means is "like" a 3.2 gzh pentium? im looking for a new cpu if i have to il buy a new mobo. i was thinking in a pentium 3.X+ ghz, or an atlhon equivalent. can some one help me? i want to procesor power to game and enconde video hope that info help and thx for all your answers ( it ended pu being 2 quesitons sorry im new )

pd: athlon is cheaper and used by ppl that make theyr onw pc thats a + for me >< just to show off at school lol!! but i want the best bang for the buck thx!
    Last edited by juliox; 09-23-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Default Re: 2300 = 2.3 ghz? can som eone explain pls?

The rating number doesn't relate to clock speed. It is an equivalent speed to the original Athlon CPUs.

For example, a 3200+ XP would perform the same as an original Athlon 3200Mhz CPU, even though it's only 2.2Ghz. Some people get confused and do compare it directly to Pentium chips, which isn't right.

But now both companies are moving away from naming their chips after clock speeds. The next generation of Intel chips will use model numbers instead of clock speeds.

EDIT: If you're looking at gaming AND video encoding, then either go for a Pentium 4 or an Athlon 64. I wouldn't bother with the Athlon XPs, as they won't perform as well with video.

thanks alot :)!

However, I'd go with the Pentium 4 if you dont have a bank vault of cash, cuz those '64s will empty a fat wallet (but pack a more menacing punch).
    Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHZ 533FSB
    1024MB PC-3200 DDR-SDRAM
    Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
    Foxconn 865-PE6LS Motherboard
    Western Digital WD400BB 40GB, Western Digital WD600BB 60GB Hard Drives
    POWTEC Demon 480W PSU
    Dell UltraSharp 18001FP 18" LCD Monitor
    Windows XP Professional SP2

Quote Originally Posted by joedemagio
    However, I'd go with the Pentium 4 if you dont have a bank vault of cash, cuz those '64s will empty a fat wallet (but pack a more menacing punch).
    I think I just got done correcting you in another thread... Unless you are in Australia or another country where Athlon 64s are still overpriced, they will provide much better bang-for-buck at all levels than their Pentium 4 price equivelents. The Pentium 4s that are actually cheaper don't compete with their socket A equivelents very well, either.

Quote Originally Posted by joedemagio
    What planet do you come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer
    The rating number doesn't relate to clock speed. It is an equivalent speed to the original Athlon CPUs.

For example, a 3200+ XP would perform the same as an original Athlon 3200Mhz CPU, even though it's only 2.2Ghz. Some people get confused and do compare it directly to Pentium chips, which isn't right.

But now both companies are moving away from naming their chips after clock speeds. The next generation of Intel chips will use model numbers instead of clock speeds.

EDIT: If you're looking at gaming AND video encoding, then either go for a Pentium 4 or an Athlon 64. I wouldn't bother with the Athlon XPs, as they won't perform as well with video
    Actually, thats wrong. A 2.2 gHz Athlon Xp will not perform as well as a 3.2 gHz Athlon. The pr system is "supposedly" not related to P4's but it seems like it. My Athlon XP 2400+ (2gHz) outperforms my friends 2.6gHz P4-c with HyperThreading.

Thread Information