Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye P4 =(

Default Goodbye P4 =(

Intel scraps Pentium 4 chip (Intel cancels highest-speed Pentium 4 chip)

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/14/tech...reut/index.htm

Default Re: Goodbye P4 =(

Gee that was last week's news.

Yes, but given the server move of the site and the forums being in and out, it is relevant.

Oh, and good riddance I say. Intel came back with their overclockable processors for a short while, but the advances being made in the AMD line have allowed them to kick ass once again!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well, Intel still intends to release up to a 3.8GHz P4, but they'll be moving to multi-core CPU's like AMD is.

Yeah, they've been doing a lot of "following AMD" lately, haven't they. And haven't they gone ahead and decided to use the AMD version of 64-bit instructions too?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Unless Intel comes up with an answer to hypertransport, I doubt it will matter. AMD has Intel beat in 32-bit, and being 64-bit won't matter. AMD is supposedly ahead of Intel in making dual-core processors, and they will probably be more effective for AMD because of hypertransport. Unless Intel has something more than dual-core processors, I think AMD will be ahead for a while.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 10-19-2004 at 07:04 PM.

And AMD will likely beat Intel's P4 dual cores to market as well as these arn't due till about Q3 2005 (even the release of the 1066 MHz FSB P4 CPU's has been put back till Q1 2005 instead of November this year) which just goes to show that Intel is having a very hard time ramping its build process (the only advance that the P4 will have over the next few months will be an other doubling of the L2 cache to 2MB).
    Even Intel's EM64T 64-bit extension for P4's are not now expected until next year for the P4 range (it was already spose to be with us).
    A lot of experts are also predicting lean times for Intel over the next 2 years as they scramble to re-arrange their processor roadmaps.

Since when did AMD get HyperThreading. I know they have HyperTransport... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Lander
    I wouldn't worry about Yawgm0th to much as he probably doesn't realize what he's saying half the time anyway let alone what he reads (maybe by the time he finishes school he'll know how to tie his shoe laces).

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Lander
    You got me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information