Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Which is faster? P4 1.7 Ghz or Celeron 2.2 GHz??

Default Which is faster? P4 1.7 Ghz or Celeron 2.2 GHz??

I'm considering purchasing a laptop. The two I've been looking at are a 2.2 GHz Mobile Celeron and the other one is a 1.7 GHz P4. All the other specs are exactly the same. My question is this: Is the P4 going to be faster in terms of execution or is the Celeron? I know clock speed isn't everything and that P4's execute faster, but will the Celeron's faster clock speed compensate for this?

Default Re: Which is faster? P4 1.7 Ghz or Celeron 2.2 GHz??

Well if the P4 isn't mobile, I'd go for the Celeron. However, even Willamete core P4s should outperform a Celeron 500MHz fast in most applications. It does depend on the application in question, though. Though if it's a Northwood (can't remember if they made 1.7GHz Northwoods), I'd be suprised to see that Celeron beat it anything except one or two video encoding applications.

Default Re: Which is faster? P4 1.7 Ghz or Celeron 2.2 GHz??

If that P4 1.7 is based on the Willamette core (180nm build with 256KB L2 cache) then it will be a close call but if its based on the Northwood core (130nm build with 512KB L2 usually denoted as a 1.7A) then it will be in front of the 2.2 Celeron in all areas except for video encoding where the benefits of the higher core speed will show.

Thread Information