Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P4 confusion

Default P4 confusion

I notice the Pentium 4, 2.4ghz, 533fsb comes with both 512k L2 cache and also with 1mb cache. Prices seem to be about the same for both. Is there a downside to the extra cache? Prices being about equal, what reason would there be for not going with the larger cache?

Likewise the 3.0Ghz, 800fsb comes both in a 'Northwood' with 512k cache and a 'Prescott, with a 1mb cache, and again, price is about the same. Why consider the smaller cache version? Why do they do this? Why?

I'm getting ready to upgrade (or maybe just forget the whole thing) using an Asus P4P800-SE mobo. I may have a line on a used p4, 2.5Ghz, 512k L2 cache. I'll use it if I can get it cheap. If not, I'll have to sort through the other options. Suggestions?

Any info will be appreciated.

Default Re: P4 confusion

The Prescott's suck. (That is the 1mb cache CPU's) Stick with the Northwood (512k cache) CPU's.

Any particular reason for not liking the Prescot? The other processor i'm considering (the 2.53 gig, 512k, 533fsb) is from a dell dimension. I don't know if it's stock or was added. Using it would mean sticking my old 1.7Ghz celeron into the Dell. How would performance be with that processor and the Asus mobo and some good RAM? Is it worth considering the extra $$ for the 800Mhz fsb cpu since the board will accommodate it? As usual, budget is a consideration here

The downside to prescott is the heat...those things can get to 80C under heavy load.

The Prescott doesn't really do much for performance except in a video video encoding applications I doubt you'll ever use, and as has been said, it runs extremely hot.

Are you considering buying a new motherboard and a used processor, or do you already have the P4P800-SE?

bought the board (new) to go with a cpu that's in a stock dell dimension ( & swap my other cpu , a 1.7 celeron into the dell). I'd like to upgrade using a new cpu, but moneywise this way hurts less. Any problems I should watch for with the new board/ used cpu combo?

uhm.. question... what's the difference between a Prescott, Northwood, and Willamette processor?

and who are these people???

just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by megidoflare
    uhm.. question... what's the difference between a Prescott, Northwood, and Willamette processor?
    Willamette = 180nm build process and 256KB L2 cache
    Northwood = 130nm build process and 512KB L2 cache
    Prescott = 90nm build process and 1MB L2 cache and more pipeline stages

oh.. okay.. thanx! ;)

Also, Willamette only is 400mhz FSB, Northwood has 400, 533, and 800mhz FSB variants. Prescott has 533 and 800mhz variants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information