Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: graphics pc dilemma

Default graphics pc dilemma

Trying to build a pc for use with programs like maya, flash, 3dsmax, also as an nle, and sound editor. Not going to be playing any games. I've been reading articles all over the internet about which processor is best, and it appears that historically intel is what I would want. However, the amd 939 socket looks like it has advantages in every catagory except those which intels hyperthreading has it beat.
    I know that I want something stable, have no intention of overclocking for that reason. I geuss the issue that I have is that amd is looking forward to the future, and seems to have a lot of the right people getting involved to make a smooth transition possible through the end of this year. I don't feel like I will need the power of a dual processor setup right away, especially considering dual core technology just around the corner. I feel like I am either at a great point to get involved with amd, or an awful one to start into a intel setup.

A bit confused about importance of future proofing my pc, vs. immediate benifits of intel's multitasking assumed superiority.

Thanks to all for any words.

Default Re: graphics pc dilemma

At this point, I would only go with Intel for a strictly-video encoding machine. For image editing, compiling software, sound/music encoding, and 3D rendering, an AMD socket 939 system with PCI-E would be the best choice.

Anyway, if you want multitasking, ther eare two AMD technologies that will soon be available that will essentially kill Intel for any workstation or Server unless Intel comes out with a new architecture entriely.

For startes, you're going to be seeing dual- and quad- Opteron server boards sporting nForce Professional (PCI-E) chipsets hitting the retail market. Dual- and quad- Opterons systems will be much nicer than hyperthreading P4/Xeons, multiple Xeons, dual-core P4/Xeons, or any combination of the three. Throw in the dual-core Opterons that will be coming out soon after, and nForce Professional socket 940 becomes perfect for any sort of high-end multimedia PC. When dual-core becomes socket-939, AMD will even take control of the lower end of that market, which means even an nForce 4 socket-939 system allows for upgrading beneficial to this type of system.

Basically, whether you want to get something for future-proofing, as you put it (upgradability), or if you get something dual-core and/or dual-processor, AMD is the way to go, multitasking or not.

thanks Yawgm0th for the advice,

As with every purchase there is seemingly always something that will come out in 6 months that makes you want to wait, but I've been putting this build on hold for a while now....so, now the search for mobo and graphics card to pair with a 939 begins.

If you have a suggestion on that I would definetly appreciate any help.

cintikid

Well unless you have an absolute need for 4 physical processors, getting something now and grabbing a dual-core processor when they come out for socket 939 will be perfect. This is one of those upgrading situations that isn't worth waiting more than a week for.

For a board, you'll want either an nForce 4 Ultra-/nForce 4 SLI-based motherboard. SLI would allow for very nice performance in 3D rendering, but I doubt the performance increase will justify the cost for you. SLI boards will also be more feature-rich, but I doubt you'll use any features that aren't already found in Ultra boards.

As for what boards, there are currently two available at the best U.S. retailer (assuming that's where you are):
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...152-049&depa=0
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-484&depa=0

I'd say the benefits of the MSI board justify the cost increase over the Chaintech. It has firewire, dual gigabit ethernet, SATA RAID 5 support, twice as much SATA, and more PCI-E lanes. I'm betting you'll use at least one of those, if not two or more somewhere down the road.

As for a graphics card, you may want to look into some of the Quadro solutions for 3D rendering since you won't be gaming. If you won't be doing any 3D rendering, then get the cheapest PCI-E card you can find. All of them will provide quality display for any intricate modeling or image editing you'll do, and all of them will be sufficient for video playback.

On a side note, I'd also suggest you get 1GB of RAM (2x512MB) and a 560W PSU from Antec or Thermaltake. you could get away with a 480W, but I'd gow ith the 560W in case you upgrade to more power-hungry parts down the road (and you most likely will).

THanks again YawG,

I took a look at the quadro line, and I'm wondering if it would make more sense to get a quadro 1300 for around $600 or to get a Geforce 6600, 6800 and spend the extra money on ram? My budget isn't extremely tight, but after the 1300 the price jump is a bit....well, I wouldn't mind waiting and watching for prices to shift.

I'm looking at crucial/corsair ram.....though I've also heard nothing awfull about Kingston. I'm going to search a bit and find out compatibility issues. Anything to watch out for, insist upon?

Personally, I don't worry about future proofing my PC. I tend to upgrade my setup every year anyway. It's funny some people worry about getting a 64bit cpu even though it won't be mainstream for quite some time. When it does come around that cpu is probably last years bargain buster.

Guess I missed this post a while ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by cintikid
    THanks again YawG,

I took a look at the quadro line, and I'm wondering if it would make more sense to get a quadro 1300 for around $600 or to get a Geforce 6600, 6800 and spend the extra money on ram? My budget isn't extremely tight, but after the 1300 the price jump is a bit....well, I wouldn't mind waiting and watching for prices to shift.

I'm looking at crucial/corsair ram.....though I've also heard nothing awfull about Kingston. I'm going to search a bit and find out compatibility issues. Anything to watch out for, insist upon?
    I'm not really to knowledgeable about 3D rendering, but I can link to a couple somewhat-recent Anandtech articles:
    http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2335
    http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2383

I'd say base the decision on whether or not you need the features and or performance of the cards designed for 3D rendering. I've heard people more experienced than I am refer to SLId 6600GTs as being a decent rending solution, though I have no idea how well that works and with what applications. Maybe just a 6600GT or 6800GT or something not designed primarily for 3D rendering would be enough. I simply don't know.

For RAM, just get a CAS2.5 PC3200 1GB Muskin dual pack or something similar from another high-tier company. They actually offer some of the cheapest options in this area, as well as the best if you're going for the more expensive stuff (in which case OCZ is the way to go).

Thread Information