Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AMD processor question

Default AMD processor question

I was placing my order today for my MB and video card and processor. I got to processors and was looking at getting a athlon 64 3500+ and i saw a few with different cores, so i didnt order the processor yet. I would like to know whats the differences and advantage, if anyone knows a easy xplaination on these cores :

Newcastle
    Winchester
    ClawHammer

I did see the Winchester had a faster operating frequency and lower voltage. I was assuming this is the newest of the 64 3500+ chips. But to be sure I had to ask. I really dont know alot about Athlons and you guys have helped alot so far so hopefully this will be last question till i get all the new stuff up and running.

I checked up on teh video cards as well and thought the ATI X850 XT was what i was getting unless you guys think the 6800 ultra would be the better gaming card

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Default Re: AMD processor question

Easiest way to explain:
    Newcastle: "Mainstream" Athlon 64 - Good performance for a good price.
    Winchester: The newest core. Is built on the 90nm process and runs cooler.
    Clawhammer: Performance core - Usually more expensive and has a 1MB L2 cache.

My recommendation would be a Winchester core.

Quote Originally Posted by kwalford
    I did see the Winchester had a faster operating frequency and lower voltage.
    It doesn't have a higher clock speed, though the voltage is lower. You're confusing model numbers here.

Clawhammer is used mostly for 1MB L2 cache A64s, but also some older revision 512KB L2 cache socket 754 Athlon 64s. You shouldn't see a 3500 with this core for sale.

Newcastle is used for older revision 3500s (and they're still commonly sold) and for most 512KB L2 cache socket 754 A64s. The only socket 939 CPU you'll see this on is the 3500.

Winchester is currently on the socket 939 3000 - 3500, and will be used in future socket 939 processors with 512KB L2 cache. A 3500 with a Winchester core will perform up to 5% better than one with Newcastle and will overclock significantly better, which is probably a result of running cooler (which it also does).

In any case, Winchester is what you should go with, without question.

As for video cards, I'd certainly take the 6800 Ultra, though I'd probably just stick with a GT. If it's not good enough for you, get an aftermarket cooler and overclock it. A 6800U is nothing more than an overclock GT, so you may be better off just overclocking it on your own, as far as bang-for-buck goes. Even if you don't want to overclock, I'd still suggest you just get a GT because they're so much cheaper.
    Edit: On second thought...
    The 850XT may be worth considering. A 6800U should perform better in future games, thus lasting longer, and will perform better in a lot of current games. However, the X850XT (especially the XT PE) should outperform it in quite a few. The 6800U will also have the option for SLI, not to mention Pixel Shader 3.0 support, which provides better image quality in anythig that supports it. I'll let you read this and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 01-31-2005 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks again guys. I now have my processor ordered :) cant wait to get all together and see how much i can OC em :)

Ken

Thread Information