Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: MSI Neo2 Platinum/3000+ overclocking

Question MSI Neo2 Platinum/3000+ overclocking

Hi there, I'm new to this forum, just signed up. I've got a new mobo and cpu, system specs as follows:

Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2520MHZ (yeah baby!)
    FSB - 280
    HTT - 3X
    CPU Multiplier - 9X
    CPU Voltage - 1.54V
    4 x 256 PC 3200 DDR - timings: 2.5/3/3/6/8/16 (CPU-Z readout) (2T timing in BIOS)
    Memory running at 186 MHZ - reported on post
    Memory Max at 133 (2/3 multiplier)
    HTT running at 840 (1680) - (I know I should have this as close to 1000 as possible, but with the overclocking, is this a good tradeoff?)

Now before I had figured out about the HT multiplier and so on, I had overclocked the system just by increasing the FSB. I was able to get it stable up to 212MHZ, with a 1 to 1 ratio on my RAM (200 MHZ setting, so 212 on the RAM). After my overclocking up 720 MHZ to 2520, everything is running smooth, but I am wondering if there is another way to get the RAM up higher? I guess basically what I am asking is, is there a way to get my RAM closer, or just over, 200MHZ, as it is capable of doing? If I use a 166 (5/6) ratio on the RAM, it ends up at 232 MHZ and the system won't post at that. Other than increasing the FSB of the CPU (which I can't do stably), is there another way to get the RAM speed increased?

My RAM voltage is up a bit, just for added stability (even though the ram technically is currently underclocked), but I have increased the RAM's default timings.

If I can't push it any more, for what I do with my system I would prefer to have the CPU as fast as possible and leave the ram underclocked if I had to. I'm not really willing to lower my FSB, as that would decrease the CPU speed, and right now, it's DAMN fast...outperforming an FX-55 according to Sisoft Sandra...

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance...

Goat blaster.

Default Re: MSI Neo2 Platinum/3000+ overclocking

Ive found that RAM overclocking isnt necessary for a performance boost on athlon 64 platforms...seeing as the memory controller is on the cpu, boosting the cpu speed has a much bigger effect on performance. I would have my own 3000+ at 2.7ghz now if it werent for the motherboard not being able to handle over 280HTT (time to check out the northbridge i think). Unfortunately the Neo2 doesnt have as varied ram dividers as say, the DFI nforce 4 board (which has a 150 in between 133 and 166 dividers), so you'll just have to set the RAM to the 133 divider. Although if you removed 2 of those sticks, you would be able to run in 1T and lighten the load on the memory controller, allowing higher RAM speeds.
    Last edited by sr4470; 02-05-2005 at 03:34 AM.

Thumbs up Re: MSI Neo2 Platinum/3000+ overclocking

Thank you very much for the response. Yeah, I just added the 2 new 256 MB sticks, populating all four slots. I had the RAM at 1T previously, but as soon as I added the other two sticks, I had to kick the ram down to 2T for stability. It was locking up even in the bios! I'm not willing to go back to 512 MB, half-life 2 is basically unplayable! I have a lot of utilities that load up on startup that I use, so with HL2, there was a lot of HD thrashing while playing. With 1GB, smooth as silk.

I've got my FSB at 280 as well and the board has been rock solid so far. I've stress tested with Toast, superPI, 3dmark 03, CPU burnin, ATItool, etc, no problems so far, days of testing.

A 150 Multiplier on the ram would be nice, but I really have nothing to complain about. I'm getting a fricken 40% performance gain on the CPU!

Goat Blaster
    Chenming Case - Mid-tower
    Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
    Western Digital 200GB ATA-100 HDD/Maxtor 60GB ATA-100 HDD
    Axio 480W PSU
    Samsung 712N 17" LCD/Philips 150S4 15" LCD
    Windows XP Professional SP1

Default Re: MSI Neo2 Platinum/3000+ overclocking

You should have bought 1x512 then another identical 512mb stick later, if you could only afford 512 to begin with. But never mind.

Thread Information